10 Things I've Learned About Sororities Since Joining One

There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to sororities nationwide, when I finally joined one I learned the truth.

834
Mariah Hendricks

There are so many stereotypes and prejudgments about Greek Life, but you never truly understand the dynamics of it until you join. I'm slowly but surely understanding the ins and outs of what its like to have the sorority life, and it's a lot better than what most people would think.

1. They actually LOVE their philanthropies.

Featured here is Megan Quick and Linda Boulos spreading awareness of the Starkey Foundation during Formal Recruitment 2018.

When I went through recruitment, I got an inside look at every sorority on campus' philanthropy. Sororities prioritize their philanthropy and are constantly holding fundraisers, dine and donates, and spreading awareness on why it's important to join them in supporting. My sorority, Delta Zeta's national philanthropy is the Starkey Hearing Foundation. All of our fundraisers go towards this foundation so we can help those in need around the world get hearing aids.

2. It's not all just fun and games.

Delta Zeta sisters and Phi Sigma Kappa brothers came together for a social at the DZ house.

Erica Geml

While there is the idea that sorority girls party a lot, that's not all they do. We plan sisterhoods once a month to get to know each other better and spend time with our sisters. The bonds that are made between sorority sisters can last a lifetime. It's also important to get to know other greek members from different affiliations in our community. While we do have fun doing it, this way we make connections so we can join together to create larger fundraisers and events on campus for everyone to enjoy.

3. Volunteering is one of the most rewarding feelings.

Lexi Pardiac

In February the service event for Delta Zeta was making Valentine's Day cards for senior citizens. The event took place at the cute coffee shop in Ypsilanti, called Cultivate. We spent several hours filling out and decorating these homemade cards. It was definitely an enjoyable experience. While we had a great time trying out the yummy foods and drinks Cultivate has on their menu, the best part of the day was at the end when we saw how many cards we collectively had made. Knowing that each card would be able to make someone's day, is what makes me so proud to be a part of this organization.

4. All sorority girls aren't the same.

Delta Zeta and Alpha Xi Delta attending a social at Zapzone.

Out of the 40 girls I've come to know this year, I'll admit some of them can seem very similar. With that said, there are 40 distinct personalities of girls who came to Eastern Michigan University from all different places. There is a wide range of majors from journalism, education, marketing, to exercise science.

5. They make education  priority, despite what society thinks.

Liz Perry of Delta Zeta devoted her time towards her goals and was voted scholarly sister of the month.

Every sorority has a minimum grade point average that every sister must maintain in order to be in good standing with their chapter. Most of them are right around 3.0. In order to keep up with our grades we have study hours and a set amount of points to achieve every month. We earn them by turning in good test scores, sending in our weekly study plans, going to a tutoring session, etc.

6. Sororities are against hazing.

The 2018 New Members getting gifts from their bigs.

Rather than embarrass, humiliate, and put new members in danger, sororities protect and look out for them. As a new member, I never had to worry about my safety at the sorority house, or any other place on or around campus. The older sisters were always quick to ask us if we needed rides anywhere, if we needed help with anything, and were always checking up on us. Most sororities take this approach. Especially at Eastern Michigan University, hazing has a zero tolerance policy.

7. Being in a sorority doesn't define who you are.

Mady Lapointe plays for a women's hockey team in Ann Arbor when she's not busy with school and her sorority.

Mady Lapointe

Don't get me wrong, every girl loves their sorority. But a lot of girls have jobs and passions they spend just as much time on. Several of my sorority sisters participate in school clubs and sports. A lot of us also make sure to go home and visit our families as much as we can.

8. Everyone's greek experience isn't the same.

Different members of EMU's Greek Life came together to participate in a photoshoot.

What you put in, you get out. Everyone has a separate experience depending on how much they want to get out of it. When you go greek, you have so many opportunities. You can put in extra service hours, spend as much time as you'd like with your sisters, and get to know other greeks. It really is what you make of it.

9. You grow as an individual.

Delta Zeta's from different chapters met in Dallas, Texas for core training.

Sororities and Fraternities have so many stereotypes about them. But what people don't really see is the positive impact Greek Life has on each person. You have so many opportunities to run for positions in your chapter and be on councils within Greek Life. The more things you participate in, the more personable and outgoing you become. Your leadership, time management, and so many more things improve so quickly. It really prepares you for life after college.

10. You really do gain lifelong friendships.

Big/Little Reveal 2018.

Mariah Hendricks

Throughout your time in Greek Life you meet so many people that will grow with you and truly make a mark. There are sisters you know you'll want in your life forever. One thing that's true, is that there's no bond quite like big and little. Wherever you end up in Greek Life the connections you make, end up making it all worth it.