To My Dad Who Taught Me How To Be Independent

You always taught me that there are three kinds of people in the world: sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves.
188

Growing up, you inspired me to take every chance possible to travel across the states, Europe, and Mexico. I was taught how to be a lady and a decent person. Although, there are a few things I will never forget that you taught me that impact me daily.

1. You taught me how to defend myself.

Colleges of today do not allow students to carry guns, or knives, not even pepper spray around campus for defense. Ignoring the fact that there are classes going on past 9 pm at night, leaving girls and guys, walking to cars alone in the dark. This is why I am thankful for you teaching me how to defend myself. I constantly have these things going through my head:

1. Do to not be on my phone when walking, if I am attentive then I am less of a target.

2. If someone jumps me, my elbows can cut easily.

I remember watching shows on television showing me how to flip someone and defend myself. Things I will never forget.

2. Stand up for others.

You always taught me that there are three kinds of people in the world: sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. That is how I live my life, constantly thriving to be a sheep dog, to help people when it is needed.

3. I know how to handle guns.

Growing up in the south, guns are not an uncommon topic. You used to turn on shows with men and women training at ranges, they would discuss different types of guns, and how to handle them. While we watched this, we would eat garlic noodles, then take apart pistols to clean. Although I would always make you paranoid that I was doing it wrong. But it taught me to be confident with them, and that it is just a machine, a tool. We would go to gun shows so you could educate me on the benefits of different types of guns. How AR’s have different length uppers, and how we could build one together if we wanted. How there are some pistols more compact than others for concealed carry, and how it takes major responsibility to use one. Also, even though I was too young to have a gun at the time, I would always look forward to the marble man. Therefore, I still have a collection of marbles from every trip we made.

4. Teaching me how to drive

Growing up with a dad who is a mechanic, loved racing motorcycles, and is a car enthusiast, it was expected I would pick up a few things. I remember going to motorcycle shows and staring at Suzuki Hayabusa's and Kawasaki ninjas. You told me once to watch out for the engine and exhaust because I’ll get burned, well, as a kid my leg touched it. I have the mark still. So I will forever remember not listening.

When I turned 15 I got my permit, and I remember driving your Toyota Tundra in an empty parking lot with you freaking out every second because you are so particular. Because of that, I learned how to feel the vehicle I drive. I remember you telling me to always look out for people on motorcycles, and I always keep an eye out. I even specifically ride behind them so nobody else will make a mistake and hit them.

5. Basic car maintenance

Being in college means I will not always have you there to help me when my car has issues. You taught me how to check my oil, my antifreeze, tire pressure, and even how to change a tire. May I say, I have had rotten luck with all of these things in the last three years, but they are basic things I am so happy to have had you to teach me.

I think when soon-to-be fathers hear they are going to have a daughter, their minds imagine treating them like a princess, dressing them in pink tutus, and singing Disney songs. Although there are things every female needs to know, whether they may be more attributed to guys learning than girls, every girl needs a dad who will teach them how to be independent. Of which, I am proud to say mine did.