Things My Coaches Have Taught Me

Things My Coaches Have Taught Me

Basically everything.

747
Things My Coaches Have Taught Me
google search

A coach is someone who either volunteers, or is paid to teach you a sport. A coach is a simple word that hides so many meanings within its five letters, a few of which are: mentor, best friend, inspiration, role model, teacher, leader and sometimes even parental figure. A good coach is so much more than just a coach, because a good coach is also your biggest fan, loudest cheerleader and strongest motivator.

From my coaches, I have learned how to press and edge on my skate to spin, and use my toe stop to jab into the air on a takeoff for a jump. I have learned how to safely throw another girl into the air and then catch her. I have learned how to hold my breath for twenty-five meters. I have learned how to use my facial expressions to draw in a crowd and to never turn my back to an audience unless in negative. I have learned how to use my body to thigh up thigh up and spin around in the air one, one and a half, two, and once in a while if I try hard, two and a half times around before landing on one foot.

Coaches like these, coaches who go above and beyond the call of duty to help others succeed, whether they officially hold the title coach or not, are the kind of coaches that build good athletes, good future employees and good people. From my coaches I have learned flexibility, strength and endurance, but the most important lessons I learned from my coaches have been learned out of the water, off the floor and on the side of the court. The most important things I've learned have been through text messages asking for advice, watching how they act as they pace the pool deck, babbling over brunch after early morning practice, in the practice room at halftime when everyone is exhausted and late night conversations after they have opened their homes and hearts. My coaches have taken the time not only to teach me my sport or my skills, but to teach me life lessons, and because of that I am who I am today. Good coaches make good athletes, but great coaches make great people, because they know the most important things they will teach us, have nothing to do with winning a medal or a tournament.

From my coaches I have learned to think for myself. They have taught me not to blindly accept what I am told, but that it is okay to have my own opinion. They have taught me not to always follow the crowd.

My coaches have taught me to respect other people. They taught me to say yes ma'am, no sir and mind my p's and q's. They taught me how to have common human decency and compassion for other people. They taught me to love and accept people regardless of religion, race, sexual preference or social status.Believe me, it was a lesson well learned. Just as importantly, they have taught me to respect myself. They taught me to treat other people the way I want to be treated, but also to not let people treat me as less than a human.

I have been taught by my coaches that you get out what you put in. They have shown me what going above and beyond the call of duty looks like and made me want to be a better person, just as they are. They taught me to always do my best, and to always give 110 percent no matter what. They have shown me that giving less than my best is not okay. They taught me to be the first person to show up, and always be willing to stay late. My coaches have shown me that hard work is the basis for everything.

My coaches have taught me that there is always someone better than me, and that is ok. Nobody can win every single time. So the next time you have practice, you get up thirty minutes earlier, work thirty minutes longer and keep trying. There is always someone better than you. There is always someone who practiced longer. Don't give up, just keep trying. If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

My coaches have taught me to let go. They have taught me not to hold a grudge, and to forgive and forget.

I have learned how to listen. How to pay attention when other people talk and how to follow instructions. Ya know, just your basic life stuff.

My coaches have given me a wonderful appreciation for all different types of music. Show tunes anyone?

My coaches have taught me the importance of determination, perseverance and strength. They taught me how to face opposition with grace, (even though I don't always do it) how to stay strong even when everything falls apart, and keep going even when you think you can't.

My coaches have taught me the value of teamwork and the importance of having a good support system. One person can do a lot by themselves, but three people and some good jams can do five times as much. You can't catch a flyer all by yourself and you cant work a job without your co-workers. Teamwork makes the dream work. They taught me that no one has to be alone all the time, because after all, we all need somebody to lean on.

My coaches taught me not to expect participation medals. They trained me hard, but they trained me well. They didn't teach me to be a whiny millennial who expects accolades just for trying. In the real word, you don't get to keep your job just by showing up. In sports you don't get to stay on the team just because you come to practice. You have to get off the mushroom and train. To keep a job you have to put in the hours. Thanks to my coaches, I don't expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter.

My coaches taught me to be the bigger person. No matter what.

My coaches taught me that its okay to be single and focus on yourself. (Although it took them a while to teach me this one.) Okay I'm totally lying. They are still trying to work on this one.

One of the most important things my coaches have taught me is to skip crying a river and go straight to building a bridge to get over it. Did she say something to hurt your feelings? Too bad. You came in last place? They don't want to hear it. This circles back to the silver platter thing. Not everyone is going to like you. You will get your feelings hurt. You will not always get the shiny gold medal. Put on your big-girl pants and deal with it, because the real world won't coddle you and your momma can't come to work to tell your bosses off is they give you constructive criticism. So your competition beat you? Work harder for next time.

Because we all know that Abby Lee Miller is Queen, I feel compelled to add something I learned from some not so great coaches, particularly because we need another Abby quote for life to be complete. I learned to believe to in everybody and always look for the good in people. If you stop believing in an athlete, a friend, or an employee, they will stop believing in themselves. In my opinion, that is one of the worst things you can do to a person. I have had coaches that didn't believe in me and quit trying. It wasn't fun. Going back to the treat everyone equally thing, believe in everybody, even yourself. No one is better than anyone else, because we all know:

Lastly, my coaches have taught me not to be afraid to get my hands dirty. Sometimes you have to do the dirty work. You have to practice your figures, you have to base a pyramid and sometimes you have to do stuff other people don't want to do. This has served me well in jobs. Be the one to volunteer to scrub toilets. You would be surprised what a little humility will do.

Basically, besides teaching me to be a national level athlete and now a college athlete, my coaches have taught me how to function in the real world, how to grow up and how to be a better human being. I wouldn't be in college without the constant support of my amazing coaches and knowing that I always have them to come home to. I love you guys. I love you so much. Thank you for everything you have done for me, in making my dreams reality.

*Special thanks to Tina for being my rock and my best friend; Kim, for being so incredibly strong, and making me stronger (laps for days); Mrs. Lynn for always having my back, my newest coach Braden for showing me how to handle every situation with so much grace and my mom who always did her best to be a good backseat coach as well as chauffeur, cook, and ATM. I love you guys. You rock.