12 Things To Help Deal With Anixety

12 Things To Help Deal With Anixety

What works for me might not work for you, but it is worth a try.

125
12 Things To Help Deal With Anixety
rd.com

I have had anxiety all my life, but I didn’t know it until this past year. Most people don’t know the signs of anxiety, and once they realize they have it, they don’t know how to cope with it. Well, here are some things that I have tried over this past year that have made so much difference in my life.

1. Going to therapy.

As soon as I went to my doctor with symptoms of anxiety and I was formally diagnosed, I immediately felt better. Knowing that something is in fact wrong, and knowing what it is that is wrong makes it a little easier. And, once my doctor referred me to a therapist, it all got A LOT better. There is a lot of shame in therapy, but I was excited to start going, and I am still excited to go to each session. I started going once a week, and I made such progress that I now go every other week. Talking to someone for one hour that has zero bias on me or my life is great.

2. Taking medication.

My primary care doctor put me on 10 mg Prozac, and has since upped it to 20 mg. It has made all the difference. There is a lot of negativity behind anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication, but I am here to tell you that it is well worth it. If you take it safely and only as your doctors prescribes it is perfectly fine to take, and it will help you start to feel so, so much better!

3. Yoga and meditation.

Yoga doesn’t have to be exercise. Yoga is a great way to just get up and move without having to do anything strenuous. Allowing the body to stretch and breathe can help you relax and feel more energized. Plus, it’s exercise. It’s an hour for you to unwind, relax and take care of your body. Meditation is also a great way to unwind. It’s done during yoga, but meditation can be easily done on your own. Just sit in a quiet room, close your eyes, and breathe.

(Some side notes: There is an app my therapist recommended called Calm. It is an app that helps you meditate. I’ll come back to this later. Also, deep breathing is a wonderful tool for anxiety. Just take a deep breath through your nose, feel your belly expand, and just when you can’t inhale anymore – let it out. When you exhale the air, exhale the negativity. Sounds dumb, but it works.)

4. Exercise in general.

When I was at my very worst, the last thing I wanted to do was exercise. But, since I started taking medication I got my appetite back, and I started working out for about 15 minutes every other day, and just increased my workouts from there. Working out helps me get out all the negative energy that I am holding in, and it keeps my mind off of the bad stuff going on in my life at the moment. It takes a lot to get myself there some days, but I get there, and I leave feeling pretty good!

5. Aroma therapy.

I swear by my aroma therapy defuser. Essential oils can soothe you, or even make you feel more energized! There is a scent for anything. Plus, my defuser lights up. You can choose one color, or you can make the colors change continuously. I put mine on at night. I put on a pink or purple light and add lavender, lemon, or sweet orange to my defuser if I am ready for sleep. Add cinnamon or peppermint for headaches or nausea, or eucalyptus to soothe a cold. There is also essential oil that come in a roller, and you can roll it on the bottoms of your feet. Add socks and BOOM. You’ll feel calmer. It really works.

6. Writing.

I have been a writer since I was a little kid, so it is second nature for me to just write a novel when I feel sad. But, for those of you that aren’t writers – keep a journal. Keeping a journal can help you cope and vent about your problems. The best part? You can go back to your journals years later and think to yourself “Damn, my problems were stupid back then!”. Trust me, it helps.

7. Doing things for myself.

When I’m sad I online shop. Not the cheapest way to cope with anxiety, but it helps. I got my hair colored. I got a piercing, and, when I was still sad, I got another. I know I can’t poke a hole in my body every time I am feeling down, but I can still get an extra coffee or have a doughnut with my first coffee. You come first, so treating yourself is good when you are feeling down. It is important to spoil yourself sometimes.

8. Listening to music.

There are a few songs that I like to listen to when I am down. Those are my go to songs when I am having an anxiety attack. However, I have also found that listening to music in general is helpful. Just having sound makes me feel better. When it is silent is where my negative thoughts thrive and grown and begin to take over. So, I adjusted the presets on my radio in the car, made some playlists and mixed CDs for different occasions, and downloaded that Calm app that I mentioned previously, and now I always have some type of sound in the background to keep my mind from wandering.

9. Animals.

Being around any animals – dogs, cats, birds, hamsters, lizards, squirrels in the backyard – they will help you. Feeling sad? Pet a dog. Anxious? Go to the zoo. Head to the mall and go to the pet store and watch the puppies play. Go visit a friend’s cat. Animals are so oblivious to the bad things in the world, and their positive vibes will rub off on to you. And, if you can’t find a physical animal, just go to Google and look up pictures of animals or animal videos. It’ll help.

10. Hanging out with friends.

When you feel down and don’t want to be with people is when you need to be with people the most. Go get drinks or coffee with your friends. When I am having a shitty day I go get Pho and bubble tea with my best friend, and sometimes that leads to us making plans to get drunk on the weekend. I might not be in a place to be with anyone in the moment, but I know that once I am there I’ll be happy. Surround yourself with those that care about you. Those are the people that will work relentlessly to put a smile on your face.

11. Watching comical TV shows.

Instead of drowning your sorrows in another tear jerking episode of "Grey’s Anatomy", put on "Parks and Recreation". Watch something that will make you laugh. Once you start laughing, you won’t be able to stop!

12. Sleeping with a teddy bear.

Sure, it's childish, but it works. I purchased an adorable teddy bear from the gift shop I work at, because as soon as I touched it’s fur I wanted to snuggle it. Ever since I bought the bear I find that snuggling with it makes me feel less alone when I am having a bad day. Anxiety is a day to day thing. One day you feel like you’re walking on sunshine, and the next day you’re drowning is sadness and fear. I find that snuggling a teddy bear helps me feel warm and safe. I have also used a fleece blanket and a body pillow. It helps me feel secure and safe. It’s a hard feeling to explain, but once you try it anything else will make you feel incomplete.

Everyone is different, and I understand that. These are just some suggestions. The important thing to remember is that if you take care of yourself, you'll feel better. You'll have to fight. You'll have to struggle a little. You might even want to give up, but getting up and doing things is key. There was a time when I didn't want to leave my bed, but some friends of mine forced me to get up and get help, and it was the best thing they could have done.

So, just give some of these a try. It might help!