From Health and Wellness to CBD and Sustainability — Here are 4 of Today’s Top Tea Trends

There are over 20,000 totally different teas within the world,

67

There are over 20,000 different teas in the world, according to Mary Lou and Robert J. Heiss, authors of The Tea Enthusiast's Handbook: A Guide to the World's Best Teas. However, despite the astounding number of teas out there to choose from, how we've chosen to integrate tea into our lives has evolved over time, with trends continually dictating the most popular ways to buy and use the beverage. From the many benefits of sustainable tea options to the most popular tea choices for health and wellness, here's what you need to know regarding the top trends in tea today.

Sustainable tea

77% of Americans are concerned about the environmental impact of the products they buy, and 64% are willing to pay more for sustainable products according to one study from the environmental technology company GreenPrint. While many may simply turn to purchasing loose leaf tea in bulk and using reusable tea bags to cut down on plastic waste to become more eco-friendly, sustainable tea choices are becoming particularly trendy today, with options including companies that aim to reduce their carbon footprint by utilizing better shipping options (such as by opting for shipping via boat as opposed to on planes), or by offering plastic free, compostable tea packaging.

Sustainable tea options also encompass those that ethically source their ingredients or use sustainable farming techniques to better serve the environment, too. With subscription tea options available online, the ability to get sustainable teas delivered right to your door on a month to month basis makes getting eco-friendly options that much more convenient. Tea of the month clubs are just one unique option available through a subscription service, allowing you to try different teas each month with peace of mind that you'll be receiving something that was produced with the environment in mind.

CBD tea options

In addition to sustainable tea options, CBD is yet another popular trend seen today when it comes to tea. CBD, or cannabidiol, comes from industrial hemp. That said, it's important to keep in mind that CBD has such a low concentration of the psychoactive cannabinoid known as THC (less than 0.3%), so there's no risk of getting high from such a product. Instead, CBD tea has actually been shown to be quite promising when it comes to treating ailments like anxiety or chronic pain, with CBD teas known to come in one of three different types of extractions (decarboxylated hemp, broad spectrum distillate, and isolate). Because decarboxylated hemp CBD is the closest extraction to a full hemp flower, it gives the CBD molecule a better chance of getting to the central nervous system without being broken down in the metabolism. As for the taste? A CBD tea produced via decarboxylated hemp actually retains some of the hemp aroma/flavor, ensuring you'll get a natural tasting product.

Teas for insomnia, stress, and anxiety

When it comes to getting a good night's sleep, nearly 70,000 million Americans experience a sleep disorder of some kind, and insomnia is the most common one with 30% of adults experiencing short term insomnia. For such reasons, it's no surprise that teas known to have calming properties are becoming more popular, like by incorporating them into a regular bedtime routine to effectively relax and unwind. Chamomile tea, for example, contains the antioxidant called apigenin, which helps in promoting calmness and inducing sleep. Similarly, valerian root is another herbal tea that may also help with stress and anxiety in addition to sleep, as it works by increasing your levels of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).

Green tea for health and wellness

Teas that are known to benefit health and wellness are another popular trend, with green tea being just one prime example. While green tea is a timeless classic, it has a lot of polyphenols called catechins, which has been found to be particularly beneficial in warding off inflammation and even chronic disease (such as certain cancers and type two diabetes). In fact, a study that was published back in August of 2018 in the Journal of Biological Chemistry further highlights the benefits of green tea, with findings that EGCG (or epigallocatechin-3-gallate, the polyphenols called catechins found in green tea) may actually break up and dissolve potentially dangerous protein plaques in blood vessels, and may lowering the chances of someone developing atherosclerosis, a known risk factor for stroke.

For those who wish to partake in some of today's most popular tea trends, there is no shortage of beneficial ones to try out. From green tea and it's unique benefits to improve health and wellness to those like chamomile used to unwind and relax before bed, innovations like CBD tea as well as the popularity of sustainable options bring a lot to the table in 2021.