You Shouldn't Feel Ashamed For Going To Therapy

You Shouldn't Be Ashamed For Going To Therapy

It's okay to get help if you feel like you're struggling, but you don't have to have a "problem" to talk to a therapist either.

53
Unsplash

When I was in fourth grade, I went to therapy for the first time. Early on in my life, I experienced a very significant loss in my life and that forever changed my perception of the world. Therapy has helped me deal with those significant losses, how to cope with *life* happening in general, and how to manage my anxiety.

I have been in pretty much every therapeutic setting there is. I have done one-on-one's with psychologists, therapists, and group therapy with other people, etc. Therapy very much so is a trial-and-error experience and that's okay. Not every therapist is going to be the one for you and I have dealt with that first hand.

media.giphy.com

So I have been in therapy for over half my life now, going on 10 years, and it still seems like some people can be a bit judgmental when I tell them I go to therapy. I'm pretty open about it, when I'm home for the summer I see my therapist about once a week and when I'm making plans around work with friends, I'm direct and say "Oh I have therapy at 12, so I can meet you around 1 when I get out."

If I had a nickel for every time I got a bizarre look or off the cuff comment about something being "wrong" with me and that's why I am in therapy, I would be very well off. Just because I am in therapy, doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with me. If anything, I am working on myself as a person to better my life for myself and those around versus those that sit judgmentally on the sidelines.

Therapy is something that has helped me cope with a multitude of different things throughout my life, talk through my anxiety, and understand more about myself. I don't understand why something so helpful is perceived as taboo. Therapy is a tool to becoming a better person and learning how to deal with the individual complexes of each person so that they can live a better life.

I never have been and never will be ashamed of going to therapy. I honestly think everyone should be in therapy.

media.giphy.com

If you have been thinking about going to therapy, or if you want to be more open and involve your support system in your therapy, do it! You can do this, no one worth being around will judge you for prioritizing your mental health and happiness.

And if you have ever thought less of someone for seeking out a therapist or counselor, I hope that this has helped you grow from your small-minded standpoint.