Dear Theatre, Thank You

Dear Theatre, Thank You

Theatre kids are part of one, big, messed-up, artistic, crazy, and happy family.

29
Dear Theatre, Thank You
Instagram

If you are a theatre kid, there are some things you understand that other people do not.

First, you know that just because you cannot dance, sing, or act, does not mean you are not needed somewhere else. Second, tech week is the week from hell. Third, theatre kids are probably the most interesting people you will ever meet and you can't help but love them. And fourth, when life gets you down and you have no where else to turn, your theatre family will always be there.

Without theatre, I would not be the confident person I am today. I think all theatre kids can agree that the theatre is a safe haven. That is where people are free to express themselves in many different ways that others cannot. If you're good at dancing, but not really good at singing, that's okay because musicals are always in need of dancers. Or if you're good at singing but have two left feet when it comes to dancing, there are always solos that need to be sung. If you can't dance or sing to save your life, don't worry, there are plays who need actors. And if being on stage isn't your cup of tea, there are places for you in tech crew. The beautiful thing about theatre is that there are so many different options as to what people can do with their talents.

When I decided to do the musical my sophomore year of high school, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. And to make things even scarier, I volunteered to choreograph the entire musical. I had some help from my co choreographers and director of course, but it was still a big job, especially for an amateur theatre geek. I was terrified. I mean, who was I to come in and tell all of these people who are way more talented (and experienced) than me what to do? But, the day that I stepped into the theatre is the day I found my home (mainly because once it is show season, you basically live in the theatre).

It meant so much to me that I was welcomed into an unfamiliar environment with open arms from some of the most talented I have ever met. I went into theatre feeling worried and intimidated, but came out of it feeling loved.

I continued to do the musical my junior and senior year. After my first musical, musical season was always my favorite time of the year. Sure, I had to give my soul to theatre for three months and face the long, stressful rehearsals, but I didn't care. Okay...maybe I cared a little, but there was no better feeling than hearing the audience cheer at the end of the show as we bowed together as a cast and crew. That moment is what made all of the tears, small panic attacks, and humiliating times from voice cracking and messing up choreography during rehearsal worth it. This is why I say thank you to theatre.

So, thank you theatre for helping me gain confidence. Thank you theatre for making me a leader. Thank you theatre for forcing me to step out of my comfort zone. And finally, thank you theatre for giving me my family that I will always cherish.