The Truth Behind Bucket Lists Is More Than You Think

There's nothing wrong with working toward your goals and dreams.

104

We all know what a “bucket list” is, and we most likely have asked or have been asked “what's on your bucket list?” For a while, I’ve had a list of things that I want to do during my life. I add to it, cross things off and refer to it when I'm looking to try something new. These desired accomplishments and goals provide me with reasons to break out of my daily routine and try something out of my comfort zone.

It's important to have a bucket list, because having and working toward both short-term and long-term goals is extremely important. Many people know that they want to experience many amazing things, but having it all written down makes it a lot easier. For me, most of my bucket list involves traveling. I have written down places I want to visit, things I want to see and adventures I hope to go on. The rest of my bucket list contains things that I hope to do. Some of these are things such as learning to surf, riding in a hot air balloon and being in two places at once. My list is long, but that’s a good thing. I have crossed off quite a few goals, and I look forward to completing even more.

In our society, kids are told at a certain age that they need to leave their dreams behind simply because someone took it into their own hands to deem them as ‘unattainable.' This is incorrect for a few reasons. First of all, it's never a bad thing to have goals, even if some will be more difficult to achieve than others. Also, having dreams, such as a dream job, dream house and dream car should never be something with which we lose hope. If a person never sets goals for themselves, they’ll simply accept less than what is truly within their reach.

Bucket lists are a lot more than just a list of things a person hopes to accomplish. They show passion, dedication and an adventurous side. One of my biggest fears is feeling regret in the future and wishing that I would have taken advantage of more opportunities. My bucket list and who I am as a person reassure me that I will act on opportunities that are presented and I will live life to the fullest. If you don’t have a bucket list yet, you should go and make one right now. Life is short, so make sure to do as much as you can!