The Truth Behind Adderall’s Deemed Superpower Effects

Academic doping is on the rise among Millennials, and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

452
smartdrugsforcollege

In today’s competitive economy, college-aged students, 18-25 year olds, are turning to “productivity pills” to gain an academic advantage. Adderall is a classified amphetamine, originally intended to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. The stimulant works by increasing the levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain that allow for greater concentration and focus. The drugs’ increased familiarity as a quick and effective solution to accomplish daily tasks tempts the youth. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), prescriptions for Adderall have more than tripled since its initial release in 1996.

There are alternative medications to treat ADHD. The scariest part? Pharmaceutical companies would rather enforce Adderall, a dangerously addictive stimulant, as opposed to a harmless nonstimulant-based drug, like Strattera.

A young man struggling with classic ADHD symptoms, in desperation, was willing to take any medication that would benefit his issues. Though many students will fake their symptoms to acquire a stimulant, this was not the case. He did not want a stimulant. When nurse practitioner, Lorraine John, of Atlantic Psychiatric Center, called in an order for Strattera, the pharmacy declined it. They questioned her, "Has he tried Adderall? Ritalin?" They would not prescribe a nonstimulant until the young man failed to benefit from any type of stimulant first. Something appears wrong with this picture, if you ask me.

The demand for the toxic substance, consumed by so many college students as of late, heightens my curiosity—is it actually as great as it’s cracked up to be? Do the benefits outweigh the costs?

• Highly Addictive: It seems as if the hazard of Adderall is often overlooked, due to its prevalence. According to a nationwide study, eighty-one percent of students will use the stimulant without a documented medical reason, as they believe it is only “slightly dangerous” or not dangerous at all”. Good intentions aside, you can easily become physically and psychologically dependent on the drug.
  • Short Half-Life: Adderall, in its purest form, has a short half-life. This means that it starts working almost instantaneously, and it wears off after 3- to 4- hours of taking a regular 20mg tablet. The more frequently it’s consumed, a greater tolerance built, which creates the need for an increased magnitude for the drug to have the same effect. In other words, as soon as the first pill starts to lose its edge, you’ll crave another. Once you reach the point where functioning seems impossible without the drug, it becomes a never-ending cycle. The withdrawal process won’t be a cake walk.
  • You’re only cheating yourself: There’s a reason why the drug is on the market, and it’s not to give an extra boost when cramming for a final exam or finishing off a research paper. It is supposed to make up for a deficit in a person’s brain functioning whom is diagnosed with ADHD. If you don’t have the disorder, it can actually make you less productive. Adderall can actually increase irritability and anxiety, which can hinder academic success. Similar to athletes pumped up on steroids, using the drug is considered cheating. Imagine what will happen when you get out into the real world if the only way you survived college was by relying on a cognitive enhancing drug. It’ll come back to bite you.
  • Ruins Relationships: The highs may be high but the lows are far lower. Adderall can change your personality and affect brain chemistry. The stimulant triggers dopamine and norepinephrine, your “feel good” emotions, which enhance your mood. Unfortunately, that high doesn’t last forever. When you crash, you hit rock bottom. Your emotions are off the wall—you get angry, confused, start crying for no reason—and you can’t stop. It’s as if Adderall puts your body in lockdown mode and takes control. Naturally, if you can’t comprehend what’s happening to yourself, your loved ones probably won’t either. Adderall creates unnecessary stress over little issues that normally wouldn’t cause any commotion. Don't risk losing someone who cares about you unconditionally, for a drug that only benefits you conditionally.
  • Loss of Appetite: You can go the whole day without eating and function like a normal human-being. This may sound great, you lose weight, but it’s grossly unhealthy. Malnourishment causes your body to go into “starvation mode”, which lowers metabolism. When you finally work up the strength to get off the drug, your hunger will return to normal.
  • Negatively Affects Circadian Rhythm: If you take Adderall past 4 or 5 p.m., don’t expect to get a quality night of sleep. Even after it seems it should be out of your system, your mind will stay wired and keep you lying awake with racing thoughts. The worst part is that there’s nothing much you can do about it after the deed is done—this isn’t exactly ideal for those who need to wake up early for school or work.
  • Potential Cardiac Problems: A 2012 report states that the long-term use of Adderall can create “serious cardiovascular adverse effects”. Adderall can be compared to Ecstasy, in the way that it increases heart rate, blood pressure, and risk of stroke. The stimulant forces the heart to work harder, which places a strain on the entire cardiovascular system.

Despite its poor side effects, Adderall is all over college campuses. So, my question is—why is it so easy to obtain? Several students buy the drug illegally from their peers. While others fake their way through the test administered to determine ADHD to get a prescription. An experiment involving a group of undergrads, conducted in 2008 (PDF), concluded that 93 percent of students were able to cheat the system and score a positive diagnosis.

How can we prevent academic doping in the future? Students must be aware of the harmful effects that long-term use of the addictive substance can have on their developing brains. Unless medically necessary, I'd say flush those pills down your toilet as soon as possible, and don't look back. I've come to terms with this, and you should too. It is simply not worth it.