The True Identity Of The Basketball Champions Of The World

How the Warriors use their platform to inspire people with a purpose greater than themselves.

13
http://fieldofteams.csnbayarea.com/tag/golden-state-warriors/

For the second consecutive year, Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors, led by Coach Steve Kerr, are the team to beat in the NBA. We can all testify that we have never seen a player like the reigning NBA MVP, Curry, as he has a ridiculously sharp, long-range jump shooting ability along with a dazzling, swift dribble that usually confuses the opponent. His fancy assisting to all of his talented teammates translates to a beautiful rotation of ball movement that always results with the team scoring in high numbers. The professional basketball defending champions of the world have recently finished the regular season with a record of 73 wins out of 82 games, breaking the highest mark set 20 years ago by Michael Jordan and the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls.

This type of news is worthy to be glorified as the world of basketball fans and even those who don't know that much about basketball deem this team as one of the best to ever play the game of basketball. One can only imagine how great it is to be in this type of position or even on this type of platform. But the most interesting aspect of it all though, is that these group of young men, being the greatest team right now, use this platform that they have not to glorify themselves and their hard work but to point to something they believe is greater than their own talent.

Back in 2015, Steph Curry was recognized as the MVP of the league, and the Warriors became Champions for the first time. During this euphoric time, the team used this highlight to express their bond and overall their faith. Curry, being one of the first ones to express, made a powerful statement in an interview:

"The Holy Spirit is moving through our locker room in a way I’ve never experienced before. It’s allowing us to reach a lot of people, and personally, I am just trying to use this stage to share how God has been a blessing to my life and how He can be the same in everyone else’s.

God’s given me talents to play basketball for a living, but I still have to work hard to improve every day. I know that in the grand scheme of things, this is just a game that can be taken from me at any moment. But I love that basketball gives me the opportunities to do good things for people and to point them towards the Man who died for our sins on the cross. I know I have a place in heaven waiting for me because of Him, and that’s something no earthly prize or trophy could ever top."

There’s more to me than just this jersey I wear, and that’s Christ living inside of me."

Have you ever noticed that famous pointing upwards that Curry does every time after making a big play on the court? This is one of the expressions he uses to glorify God.

James Mcadoo, a young man playing the power foward position on the team, also stated in the middle of an news interview

"I just want people to realize I don’t play basketball for myself. No matter what adversities I face, how bad a season goes, or even how good a season goes, at the end of the day I’m playing for a bigger reason, and that’s to glorify my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

Moreover, as a team, the Golden State Warriors have become family because of their faith in God. Andre Igoudala, an important asset of the bench on the team, after announced as MVP of the finals last year during the post-game interview proclaimed that they won because their team is full of believers and much more. He also thanked and glorified God for his team's historic NBA championship.

"We got a team full of believers. We all go to chapel before every game. We all believe and we all say God has a way for you—a purpose for you. This is my purpose," he said.

During a later interview, Igoudala has stated that his Christian faith helps keep him grounded in life, and he hopes that it reflects even when he plays basketball.

"My christian faith. It keeps me focused, When people see us on the court, we want them to see God's work. We want to be a good representation of what we believe in. When you go out there, you're not just representing your country or the NBA, you're representing your beliefs. You want to play hard for Someone who died for you."

Whether if you believe it or don't believe, we are all born with a purpose greater than ourselves and it's beyond silver and gold and a nice big house with a bunch of rooms that no one sleeps in. It is beyond materialistic things that the world admires. All these things are perishable and are meaningless once we are gone. It's the purpose greater than yourself that fuels you to overcome adversity and live fully, and you will never ever be unsatisfied or search for satisfaction in things that won't satisfy you because fulfilling this purpose will be part of an everlasting joy in your life. God has given us all a platform and talents to be utilized for one purpose, and that is to glorify our creator, him. This purpose, when it is identified and glorified, is what inspires people regardless of what platform you have, whether it be your local community, your work office, somewhere in a third world country, or like the Warriors, the NBA.