The start and performance that no one expected

Will the Irish turn it around?

5
Brenden Curry

We are now halfway through the season, a season that I would like to forget. I never saw a 2-4 record coming. I was expecting a 10 win season for the Fighting Irish.

There were so many games in the first half of the season that Notre Dame could and should have won.

The Texas game-- why did we have to do the quarterback alternating? Clearly, DeShoneKizer was the guy to go with against Texas. He looked like the quarterback to lead us to victory in Austin that Sunday night. Inconsistency killed our chances to begin the season at 1-0.

That game still stings me, but not as much as the recent game in the torrential rains and heavy winds of Hurricane Matthew.

Another loss on Saturday to a beatable opponent. Now the Irish are 2-4. The Irish traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina to face the Wolfpack of North Carolina State. The game was played in messy, muddy conditions with heavy rain and wind from Hurricane Mathew. They lost 10-3.

The game should have been canceled. There was no way the ball could be moved by all aspects of the game.

Another recent coaching controversy is words Coach Kelly had post-game about the play of his players. He stated that the play of Irish center, Sam Mustipher, was “atrocious.”

Coach, this will definitely make the players not play for you anymore. Especially when the fanbase is calling for you to be fired. Also, the field was sloppy and rain kept pouring on. The ball was never dry the whole game. Give him a break. The conditions were horrible. He had difficulty trying to snap the ball to Kizer.

What else did you expect Coach? By the way, what was in your thinking to make Kizer throw instead of using the running game more? Also, why didn’t you put Zaire in the game during the second half? Zaire is clearly the runner.

North Carolina State did it, why didn’t you follow suit?

Decisions like that have many fans criticize Coach Kelly, with some calling for him to be fired.

Unlike most people, I believe that Coach Kelly will be the head coach in 2017 unless they go way downhill the rest of the season. His contract is up until 2021. I don’t think Notre Dame will fire him based off of one bad season.

I’ve noticed throughout his tenure that he rebounds after an “ok” season. For example, last year, his team finished 10-3 and an appearance in the Fiesta Bowl after an 8-5 season that included a four-game losing streak in 2014.

He also rebounded after the 2011 season where they began 0-2 and finished 8-5. He would go on to lead the team to an undefeated regular season in 2012 and a BCS Championship Game appearance.

I think Kelly will stay on as head coach and hopefully rebound in 2017. Therefore, the trend I’ve noticed will continue. Hopefully, he is still the one to “wake up the echoes” in South Bend.

I am hoping this week’s game against Stanford will kick-start a turnaround to the season. Stanford has not been up to par, like many people thought they would be during the beginning of the season. I see Stanford as a vulnerable opponent. They recently lost their last two points and gave up over 40 points in both losses. However, they may use it as motivation as they look to get back into the winning column against a Notre Dame team in a state of turmoil. Plus, star running back Christian McCaffrey is questionable and a game time decision for Saturday night.

I also believe that having a bye week after the Stanford game will get them recharged for a November that will make or break their season. The first game after the bye week will be against the 16/17 ranked Miami Hurricanes. Hopefully, the bye week will allow the Fighting Irish to get their “fight” back!