The Six Steps For Joining A Club As An Introvert

Don't forget to remember the deep breaths when you're panicking.
271

College is a time of many new opportunities and adventures. There are long lists of clubs to join and and an even longer list of activities you can do outside of campus. When I was looking at colleges, I looked at the amount of clubs they had and how many were actually things that interested me. The problem was (and still is) that I may want to get involved in a dozen different things, but my introvert tendencies really don't help that goal. A lot of people don't understand why it takes me forever to get myself involved or to make a decision. So, for those of you who were blessed to be extroverts, I'm going to lay out the steps to joining a club as an introvert so maybe you can sympathize with us a little.

1. Over-analyzing every detail

I think I read descriptions and comments about something at least five times. I just have to make sure that I'm actually getting myself into something that I will enjoy.

2. Taking a good solid minute to hit the "join club" button

Just because I finally decided to join doesn't mean I don't have doubts about it. There's a whole other process of talking myself into actually joining instead of just deciding I want to join.

3. Regretting instantly that you hit the button

As soon as I commit to something I panic. Now I have to go to meetings, I have to meet new people. I have to actually leave my room. The regret is instantaneous.

4. Trying to talk yourself out of panicking

Just remember deep breaths. Practice some yoga.

5. Wanting to turn around at least three times on the way to the meeting

I can make it half way and then realize that I am walking into a new place and won't know anyone. In that moment, I turn around fully intent on heading back to my room. I manage to convince myself it won't be too bad, but I still have to do this a couple more times before I actually make it there.

6. Leaving and realizing you had fun

Once I actually make it to the club meeting, and start talking to people (of course they initiate the conversation) I realize that I actually had fun. All of the panicking was for nothing.

Now, that process may seem a tad dramatic to some, but in all honesty it's what I've gone through every time I've tried to get involved in anything new. Part of my brain, the rational side, says everything will be fine and I'll love it. Then the rest of my brain hijacks my thoughts and convinces me it will be torture to leave my room. I know other people who feel the same way. It's the curse of the introvert.