The Simple Things In Life

The Simple Things In Life

Finding joy in the little things when the going gets rough.

16
The Simple Things In Life
matadornetwork

Finals week is rough. Finals week is really, really rough.

Finals week is when you are exhausted and beaten down, but it gives me the opportunity to reflect on the little things that get me through. The simple things that make life great. So in honor of the little things that are getting me through these finals weeks of the semester, here is a list of the simple things in life that make me happy.

1. A nice, warm (and long) shower

Some people don’t have clean water. Some people don’t have hot water. Some people don’t have the ability to shower. A lot of us take for granted how simple of a blessing this is, but I’m forever grateful for a warm shower that can clear my thoughts.

2. A home cooked meal

I got to go home with a friend this past weekend, and this means that I got to have a home cooked meal. I am grateful that I never go hungry, but anything that isn’t caf food makes me so happy.

3. Adventures with friends

I love spontaneous adventures when there might not be a destination in mind or you don’t know what you are going to do, but it’s the time with the people that you love that really matters.

4. Fam movie nights

My friends are some my favorite people in the world. Sometimes college life gets in the way, and sitting down and just relaxing to watch a movie with your favorite people can really boost your mood. Some of my favorite memories involve good people and a movie.

5. Fam cuddle sessions

I never used to be a touchy-feely kind of person until I met my friends at school. Now, all we do is cuddle. It’s a little weird, but it also just makes me feel happy and safe to be with the people I love the most.

6. Bubbles

Even the word bubbles makes me laugh. My inner child comes out whenever bubbles are involved. Bubbles are just pure happiness in this world, and I literally love them with all my heart.

7. Christmas presents

To me, it’s not really about the gift itself. It’s the people, and it’s the thought. I used to hate hearing the phrase, “It’s the thought that counts,” because that meant the present wasn’t what you wanted. But it’s different now. Anytime anyone takes the time to put thought and effort into something to give me, it fills me with so much joy. Some people say that presents are materialistic and take away from the true meaning of some holidays, but I think that spreading joy in the form of gift giving is something so special, and it’s so worthwhile.

8. Snow

I go in between periods of loving and hating snow. But right now, snow is one of my favorite things on this planet. Its beauty is so striking, and it’s literally a gift from God.

9. When people make an effort for you

This can be as simple as smiling at someone in passing, or just asking how they are. There are certain people who have entered my life and no matter what they are doing or where they are going they will always stop to ask and check if I’m okay, and that makes me feel so loved. It’s also as little as a smile from someone, even in passing. It’s nice to see others smile, and feels even nicer when they are smiling because they see you.

10. Practicing your passion

Whether it’s a sport, an instrument, or some other hobby, taking the time to reward yourself with time for your passion is so beneficial. For me, my passion is makeup. I rarely have any time (or energy) to put makeup on anymore, and it’s put a serious amount of stress on me. But this weekend, I had the opportunity to put on a full face of makeup, and I’ve never felt better.

11. Heart-to-heart talks

Sometimes heart to hearts can be hard, but they can also be very valuable. To me, deep conversations are essential in building solid relationships, so I’m always thankful when I can have heart-to-hearts with people.

12. Speaking with friends from back home

My friends from back home give me an infinite amount of joy, so whether the conversation is long or short, I love hearing from them and talking to them about anything and everything.

13. Long drives with good music

I don’t know why I’m like this, but I love driving. More specifically, I love long drives with good music. Just plain old jamming out and seeing small pieces of the world is such a wonderful ability to have, and I’m so grateful for that time.

14. Fuzzy socks

I don’t really think an explanation is needed for this one. Fuzzy socks are life.

15. Jesus

So, this isn’t really a “simple” pleasure in life, but it is my greatest pleasure. Nothing brings me more happiness and more joy then my Savior, and that’s my main man Jesus. No matter how sad, how stressed out, or how broken I am, God is always there for me and that is something I will never get over. My gratefulness for the gift that Christ gave us is absolutely infinite, and it’s something that can get me through anything.