The Pros And Cons Of Being A Cubs Fan

The Pros And Cons Of Being A Cubs Fan

This requires loyalty and a whole lot of hope.

168
The Pros And Cons Of Being A Cubs Fan
Lakeshore Public Media

Baseball season is finally upon us and it is time for us Cubs fans to get excited once more. When people talk about the Cubs, though, there are certain words that come into the conversation: loss, losing, losers, sad, hopeless, almost, and "maybe next year." Being a Cubs fan is so much fun, but it definitely has its ups and downs.

Pro: The Cubs went pretty far last season.

Last season, the Cubs were selected as a Wild Card team to advance to the National League playoffs. The Cubs made it to the National League Championship Series; yes, they were one step from advancing to the World Series. But, they lost every game of that round and did not get to go to the World Series. It was very close, but the last time they went to the World Series was in 1945.

Con: There’s not much else to brag about.

The Chicago Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908—it has been over 100 years and counting. The team has come close to the final championship, but not close enough. It is hard for fans to boast about how far the Cubs have gone in baseball when there are teams that have made it to the playoffs for many years.

Pro: Cubs fans bond fast.

When two people meet and realize that they are both Cubs fans, there are endless things to talk about: new players, Cubs management, lifelong disappointment, how there is always hope, etc. There are not many people who have this connection, but when they meet, Cubs fans easily make friends

Con: Cubs fans are easy to make fun of.

There are so many mean jokes about the Chicago Cubs and Cubs fans. I’ve heard too many Cubs jokes in my 19 years. It was hard as a kid, when the teasing in elementary school really hurt my feelings, to laugh off the mean jokes kids made about the Cubs. The jokes just come with being a Cubs fan; much like a lot of other fans, I have grown to accept and laugh with them.

Pro: The Cubs vs. Cardinals rivalry cannot be topped by any other rivalry.

Because Chicago and St. Louis are not that far apart, it is easy for fans of both teams to attend games either at Wrigley Field in Chicago or Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Fans from both teams flock to the games and the rivalry is so strong that there have been fights and chaos. For the most part, though, the rivalry is with good intentions and just goes to show that many Americans love showing love for their favorite team.

Con: It is hard to be a Cubs fan when you live in the heart of Cardinals territory.

As a Cubs fan who grew up in Missouri, it was definitely a challenge that all of my friends were Cardinals fans. I sometimes got invited to Cardinals games and had nothing to wear but a Cubs jersey, which always attracted glares from the crowd (I’ll admit that sometimes I wore it on purpose.) It was hard to be a fish out of water, especially because Cubs games are so far away from Missouri.

Pro: Wrigley Field is awesome.

Wrigley Field is one of the most iconic baseball stadiums in the country. It is a shrine with its ivy-covered back wall, its hand-turn scoreboard, its iconic bleacher section, and its ability to fit over 42,000 fans. On a good day, Wrigley is packed with excited Cubs fans ready to watch their favorite team. During the seventh inning stretch, “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” is usually conducted by either a famous athlete or celebrity and the whole crowd joins in. If the Cubs win at Wrigley, the song “Go Cubs Go” is played for the whole stadium to hear, and proud fans stand and sing at the top of their lungs, “Go Cubs, go! Go Cubs, go! Hey, Chicago, whaddaya say, the Cubs are gonna win today!”

Con: Wrigley Field sells out fast.

For games on weekends or against rival teams, it can be hard to find reasonably-priced seats. It is best to plan ahead when going to a Cubs game. There is always the option of buying tickets outside of the stadium, but that is never a guarantee.

Pro: There is no such thing as a fair-weather Cubs fan.

Cubs fans are the most hopeful, good-natured, and passionate fans. They are used to seeing the Cubs lose and having their hearts ripped out every season when good players are injured or when the Cubs, again, don’t make it into the postseason. Yet, through-and-through, Cubs fans are always hopeful for next year. Within the Cubs fandom, it is very unusual to see fans switch over and support a team who actually made it to the playoffs. A perfect example is my father, a born and raised Chicagoan. For fifty years and counting, he has never wavered. He sports his Cubs apparel year-round and is there for every Cubs-related terror and triumph. It takes a lot to be a Cubs fan, but I wouldn’t want to cheer on any other team with my family by my side.