This Perfect Trade Will Change The Celtics Franchise

Reading into the future of this low-risk, high reward trade

29
Biased Boston Sports

With the trade deadline looming, it seems every writer, reporter and fan has a different opinion on what the Boston Celtics should do before Thursday at 3 p.m. There have been talks headlined by the names of Demarcus Cousins, Jimmy Butler, and Paul George. However, my perfect trade scenario does not involve any of those players. It would be nice to have one of them, however, no longer Cousins as he was just traded to New Orleans, but there is a better deal out there for Boston. Before you stray away from this article, I urge you to read the full-length article before you dismiss the possibility. However, for the dream-deadline scenario, there are two trades the Celtics have to make.

It starts with Carmelo Anthony. Yes, The 32-year-old small forward with more baggage than most NBA stars. Let me explain. Carmelo does not love the Knicks anymore. His relationship with Phil Jackson has never been strong but is definitely now on final strings. He has already announced the Celtics are one of few teams he would waive his no-trade clause for, but why does this make sense for the Celtics? Well, Melo is a developed scorer, one of the best in the game. Besides Isaiah, the Celtics do not have a true scorer. Al Horford, despite being paid 30 million dollars a year, is inconsistent and at times does not put up double digit points, most recently his 7 point performance against Chicago in which he air-balled a game-winning mid-range jumper. Melo is a true scorer even at his age, in which he could go for 30 points any given night.

The second complaint about the Melo deal: “He plays no defense” and “He will break up the chemistry of this team.” Chemistry is great, don't get me wrong. However, it only gets a team so far. Last year it could be argued the Celtics had the best team chemistry in the league, yet were knocked out of the playoffs in six games. At this point, talent overtakes team chemistry. It seems people get too caught up in last years team and are not focusing on this season. It is overlooked that Boston is 6th in the league in scoring and average 108 points per game. This team is not truly winning games on defense, their offense is getting them wins. Carmelo will add to the explosive offense and the defensive holes will be filled in with Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, and Avery Bradley. With all of those players still on the team, who is Boston giving up for Carmelo?

The meat of the deal is actually very simple. Jae Crowder and the 2018 first round pick for Carmelo Anthony. Obviously, with salary cap issues, there would be other players involved, maybe a Tyler Zeller or a small market player. However, the big assets involved would be Crowder and the 2018 Brooklyn pick. How could the Knicks turn this down? They are getting Crowder, who will be a solid piece to build around for Porzingis, as well as a future partner for Porzingis. Once again a strong chance in the pick being at least top-5, the Knicks are getting great value back. This deal would benefit both teams and was successful with minor tweaking in the NBA trade machine for those doubting.

So now Boston has their second scorer to play along Isaiah. They're still missing a key rebounder. This is where the Magic hop back into trade talks. Nikola Vucevic, who has been in trade rumors earlier, is the final piece in this trade deadline master deal. In Orlando, he is a 14 point, 10 rebound a game guy. The seven-footer who can stretch the floor seems to fit in perfect in Brad Stevens system. However, not a great defender, the offense and rebounding would be ideal for this team. The Magic have already been confirmed sellers at the deadline, so the price for this double-double machine will be relatively low. I’m guessing a 2019 first round (Boston Owned) Memphis pick, along with Terry Rozier and Amir Johnson could do the trick. The first rounder and Rozier would help the Magic future and Amir will help the current issues they will have after losing their two best big men.

Let’s play along now with these deals. The Boston starting five is now Thomas, Bradley, Carmelo, Horford and Vucevic. Off the bench, you now still have Smart, Brown, Olynyk, Jerebko, Green, Young and Mickey. You may not have the best player in the league playing for you in a Lebron or Curry, but you no doubt have the deepest team in the league along with an excellent all-around starting lineup that contends with the Cavs and Warriors for a championship this year.

I know what question is coming next. What about the future? Why would you give up your future for an old Melo and Vucevic, both of which will most likely only be in Boston for two more years? There is a simple answer. You didn't give up your future. You gave up your 2018 Brooklyn pick and Terry Rozier, who seems to be no more than a very good back-up point guard, and in return, you get two to three years of championship contention. Crowder, Amir, and the others were never part of the big picture of the Celtics future. And the key to all of this? You now keep your 2017 Brooklyn pick. Seems pretty good right? It gets better.

Because I truly believe in this trade, we are going to continue with a hypothetical positive situation. The 2017 draft comes around and the Celtics wind up most likely with either the first or second pick in the draft. With that pick, they draft Either Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball, both of which I believe could develop into NBA superstars. Let’s stick to Fultz for the sake of making this easier to follow. Because you now have Melo and Vucevic, you don't have to waste a max contract on Gordon Hayward in the 2017 off-season. This means you still have an opening for another max, along with the ability to resign Thomas to the max if he continues his star play. So we are going to play this out now. 2017 season nothing changes, the team basically stays the same along with the development of Fultz and Jaylen Brown.

Enter 2018 offseason. Your last season with both Melo and Vucevic. You can now have a full assessment of the play of Isaiah Thomas and will have the option to resign him. Along with that, you have another full year of watching Fultz and Brown play. Your options begin to open up. If Isaiah walks, resign Jaylen Brown early and save some money if you decide he is worth the money. Avery Bradley will likely be gone, which now opens up the ability to sign Marcus Smart, once again if he is worth it. However the off-season plays out, the Celtics will still be in contention.

Enter 2019 offseason. 2 1/2 seasons have gone by since the franchise changing trades. The Celtics every year have been contending for a championship if they have not already won. This is where things get interesting. Melo and Vucevic are gone. Al Horford is in the last year of his deal. This is the final transition from the old superstars, to the up-and-coming. If the Celtics haven't paid Brown, they pay him this off-season. They have already resigned Smart and bring in smaller names in free agency. With enough room for another max player, they can bring in another big man, or wait one more year until Horford is out of Boston. Even with Thomas possibly gone at the start of the year, your starting line-up will not suffer. Fultz, Smart and Brown headlined the feared 1,2 and 3 starters. Horford, in the final year of his contract, remains a veteran leader who can facilitate the ball well, and (Insert free agent signing here) becomes the other big man to go along with Horford considering the Celtics will have the cap room to do it.

What comes next? Well even with the free agent big man signing, Boston has enough cap space to sign Jaylen Brown and Markelle Fultz to future deals when necessary, along with a sufficient amount of their own draft picks to fill in their bench. With Brown and Fultz still in their early twenties, Boston now has two superstars poised for another dynasty. Boston will be a top team for at least another six to seven years barring regression or significant injury from their stars.

Now, obviously, this is wishful thinking. Relying on the progression of Smart, Brown and a top-tier pick along with both teams actually agreeing to these deals. However, this deal makes the most sense for many reasons. If Boston ends up with a Butler or George, more than likely they forfeit both Net’s picks, along with the possibility of a Smart or Bradley. They still do not solve their rebounding issue, and once their contracts end, Boston is left with their own picks and the possibility of watching them walk away. The other option is signing Gordon Hayward in the off-season after bypassing this trade deadline. Sure Hayward is a great player, however that locks up another max contract in the salary book, and leaves a questionable future for Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, and future picks. This is the safest, and most logical way to a championship, while also looking out for your future in the long run. This may seem far-fetched, however, if Ainge is able to somehow pull this off, it will pay off.