The Patriot's Unsung Heroes

The Patriot's Unsung Heroes

Recognizing those who go unnoticed

27
The Patriot's Unsung Heroes

There’s no denying that the New England Patriots are one of the premier teams in the NFL this season. The team from top to bottom is one of the more complete rosters in the entire league. Everyone knows about their all-stars in Tom Brady, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Jaimie Collins and Devin McCourty (just to name a few). However, there are many players in New England that play critical roles but get little credit. Here’s a list of some of the unsung heroes on the Patriots roster, who’s importance often goes unnoticed.

David Andrews – Center

The Patriot’s offensive line has been a roller coaster this season, to say the least. Injuries to Brian Stork, Ryan Wendell, Nate Solder, as well as the retirement of Dan Connolly left the team searching for players to fill the role. Enter, David Andrews. The undrafted rookie from Georgia came in and didn’t miss a beat. He’s had minimal penalties, and seems to have a great hold of the Patriots infamous complicated offense. Also, he’s the only player on the entire team that has played every snap this season. It should be interesting to see what the Patriots do with him when Stork comes back from injury. If his great play continues, it will be very difficult to take him out of the lineup.

Ryan Allen - Punter

The Patriots don’t punt a lot. Their high-powered offensive attack usually results in some type of scoring, either touchdowns or field goals. However, when the team is forced to kick it away, they have one of the best in the business. Allen is often forgotten in the realm of special teamers, as his kicking mate Stephen Gostkowski is making a name for himself as one of the best in the game. While he’s only punted 14 times this season, he’s put six of them inside the 20 yard line. His net average is also in the top five in the league, at 42.1 Forcing teams to start in poor field position is a valuable asset to have, and Allen allows this to happen.

Brandon Bolden – Special Teams/Running Back

Bill Belichick loves versatile players, and Bolden is arguably the face of versatility on the Patriots' roster. A running back by trade, the Mississippi product has become a fixture in the Patriot’s special teams unit. Alongside perennial Pro Bowler Matthew Slater, Bolden always seems to be the first player down the field on punts and kick offs. He’ll also get a few touches out of the backfield from time to time as well. His high energy and broad skill set is invaluable to the team.

Duron Harmon - Safety

Safety is arguably New England's best position of depth. Devin McCourty has made a name for himself as a top five player at the position, and Patrick Chung has made the most of his second stint with the team. In now his third season, Harmon has added to the team's quality safety play. With McCourty often in single high coverage, Harmon has done a respectable job providing help coverage. This has become a valuable asset, as the team’s corner back corps is rather inexperienced. He’s also hauled in two interceptions as well, which leads the team.