The Past Year

The Past Year

You can learn a lot in 365 days.

16
The Past Year

The lessons I have learned in the past year and a half are unbelievable to anyone who has not lived them. I have changed, grown, and become a better person.

One year ago I was selfish for the wrong reasons and I was ungrateful. I was ungrateful to my parents and family. I was ungrateful to my teachers who sat with me and taught me every day. I was ungrateful to the opportunities I had been offered. I was not in a place where I would categorize myself as a good person. All of this changed when I decided to start volunteering at a local domestic violence shelter.

The Grace Smith House has been in my community for decades now and has helped hundreds of women and children escape domestic violence. The shelter also has a separate part to it solely dedicated to the education and prevention of domestic violence, bullying, and teen dating violence. Through the Prevention Team, I was introduced to a youth council that has changed my life in ways I can not begin to fathom. The educators on the Prevention Team are spectacular and are women I will certainly look up to and turn to for guidance.

When I became president of this youth group, I never expected it to lead me to where I am today; I honestly didn't and I know that sounds cliche. I always cared but I honestly just thought this would be a once a week thing where I went and didn't really get to know anyone. Thankfully, that was not the case.

Knowing that I have given people life changing moments is an indescribable feeling. When I think about the performance my group and I performed about dating violence -- I feel this weight on my chest. I feel as if what I have done for the students of these high schools is so moving that I can not begin to bear the feeling of losing this passion. I hope that when we perform monologues and speeches, that these students soak up the information and realize how important what were saying is.

While volunteering, I have also learned about true appreciation. I had a moment at the Grace Smith House a while ago where I was waiting for an employee to answer the buzzer outside and a young woman was standing to wait with me. When the woman on the buzzer asked who was here, the young woman next to me answered with her name and why she was ringing the main building. She answered simply with, "I just need laundry detergent." The buzzer spoke with sadness telling this young lady that without her counselor there, she was not allowed to retrieve it from the pantry. This woman turned to me and said: "One day, I will just be able to buy my own detergent and do laundry in my own home and I'm grateful for that kind of hope".

It wasn't until then that I really understood how lucky I was. I could wash my clothes whenever I wanted. I could buy laundry detergent and use it — in my own home. I am lucky and I'm appreciative of it now. I thank my parents more. I let my friends know how happy I am to have them. I tell my brother I love him even when he yells at his Xbox. I am grateful to have the life that has been provided for me.

The Grace Smith House has taught me many things. It has taught me time management. It has educated me on serious issues. It has helped me with college applications, helped me with my nerves and fears. But most importantly — it has opened my eyes to the true meaning of helping others. Our lives can beneficial to those around us and we should never hold back our tongues when things are to be said. Our hands can do a lot, but should never do anything more than help.