The Oakland Raiders: Greatness in the Making

The Raiders went from being a joke to being elite.

7
The hometown fan

The Raiders are one of the best teams in football this year and that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. They have a shown this year that they are a force to be reckoned with. Before the last three years, they were considered a joke in the league. After their amazing draft class of 2014 fans across the nation started seeing them as an upcoming team in the league.

Khalil Mack was the easiest pick for the Raiders that year. Ever since Mack has been in the league he has shown that he is one of the top defensive players in the league. This current season he isn’t playing to the elite level we are used to but, it is still better than most pass rushing linebackers. The Raider’s opponents have to adjust their game plan because of Mack’s relentless efforts to get past the offensive line and, lay the smack-down on their quarterback. The Raiders are lucky they drafted Mack because he might have had to sack the real star, and a steal of that 2014 draft: Derek Carr.

Three Quarterbacks were taken before Derek Carr in the draft of 2014.

• Blake Bortles was taken in 3rd overall in the draft. He has thrown the most pick-6s since 2014. Since drafting him his team has gone 10-32 if you include this current 2016 season.
  • Johnny Manziel was taken 22nd overall in the draft. Most people have heard of Johnny purely through his name being on the mainstream news because of drinking habits. He is currently no longer in the league.
  • Teddy Bridgewater was taken 32nd overall in the draft and he is the only one who can even compete with Carr for best QB of the 2014 draft. Teddy saw more success early but an injury in the first game of this season derailed his chances at that.

The Raiders found their franchise QB in Derek Carr. The Raiders are the perfect example of how to build through the draft. Under the management of Reggie McKenzie, the Raiders have been smart with their draft picks and going with what fits their scheme, unlike other teams that are struggling (Yes Brown fans I’m talking to you). They also have stopped spending big money during free agency on players that are good but, do not fit their schemes. Crabtree is one player who is benefitting from the Raiders free agency moves. Since joining them he has had career years. Now it seems that the rebuild is almost complete because the Oakland Raiders are now 2nd in the AFC.