The Importance Of Travel For Self Development

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves" -Viktor E. Frankl
1008

Traveling can be one of the best and most powerful tools for personal development. Becoming enlightened by a different environment, food, fashion, and attitudes can give you a new perspective of the world. You are able to unravel characteristics about not only yourself but also the world that you live in. Surrounding yourself with different cultures and people can flood your body with a sense of happiness that you didn’t even know existed within you. If you ever stumble upon the ability to travel to a different continent, or even somewhere within your own country, take the opportunity. The journey that you will tread on will not only give you the potential to step outside and give yourself new surroundings, but it will also present you with the power to find out new aspects about who you are as an individual.

Traveling teaches you a greater tolerance for things being different.

Some people in this world really relish the idea of having a routine and a set schedule. Others do not like venturing out into other social circles because they are completely comfortable with their own. We like what is familiar because we have a sense of what is going to happen and what it is going to be like. However, when we are in a different place we throw out the ideology that society has placed upon us. We are exposed to a new culture and different types of people when we are somewhere new.

Traveling gives us the chance to spread our wings and explore. When given a chance we tend to enclose ourselves with the same friends, the same routines, and the same surroundings. Traveling alone can give you greater exposure to the world that is out there. We have deeper conversations with people who we would have never met and we learn to treasure the different perspectives that the locals bring. Being placed in a different culture gives you the opportunity to openly tolerate other people’s opinions as well as learn to understand others better.

Traveling makes you become more responsible and gives you a sense of independence.

When traveling alone you need make sure you that don’t lose your passport, your documents, and your belongings and you have to take care of yourself. Making sure that you make your connecting flight and to always keep your luggage in your peripheral view is important. You develop a sense of responsibility because you have to. You have no one else to rely on but yourself. With that being said, you have the ability to take a day trip to wherever you want because you do not have to consult with someone else if that is the destination that they want to reach as well. You can go where you want, when you want, and create the experience that you want because you have no one else to tell you otherwise. Having the ability to finally do things on your own can make you feel like an independent adult. When you are given the opportunity to travel it makes you more aware of your surroundings and yourself.

Traveling gives you the ability to understand your aspirations for the future.

Being placed in a different environment causes you to become more open minded and encompassed with the thirst to learn. Learning causes your dreams to not only have the potential of becoming real, but gives you the ability to expand on them as well. Traveling gives you the opportunity to want to learn and, by the end of your trip, you will crave more. Traveling has also given you the ability to want to take risks and to be more adventurous. It causes you to push your boundaries because you have widened your perspective. Some of the most successful people reach their dreams because they were willing to take risks. In order to trust the world that you live in you need to trust yourself and who you are as an individual. Doing so will instill courage in you and may cause you to take a leap of faith on a future endeavor. You have taken fear to the next level and it has given you cause to not be scared any longer. Life is all about jumps, loops, and, above all, risks. If you muster up the ability to take risks then you will explore the unknown and create even better dreams.

Traveling gives us the opportunity to know ourselves better.

Traveling forces you to learn more about yourself. Many of us have never really looked inside of ourselves. You start to question aspects of your life because you were put into a space that offers you growth. Traveling rids you of a place to hide and it gives you a step out of reality, leaving your ego behind with it. The mask that you display for society is behind the self-image that you have set for yourself. We constantly seek approval from everyone but ourselves. You are now placed in an environment where you don’t have your friends to reinforce the ideas that have been set for you. Living in the unknown causes your self-image to fall apart and the person who has been trying to emerge will finally come to light. Traveling will cause you to be in a constant state of observation. Learning to watch other things and people around you can be the ticket that you need to learn about yourself. You begin to challenge and question everything that you have been taught and that you believe. There is a sense of confusion and a point where you feel completely lost, but you start to really understand what it is that you believe in and what it is that you desire, rather than what society and other people want for you. It can be scary and intimidating, but it can also be quite liberating in the end. When you are traveling you have the chance to develop a quiet mind. Being in the here and now can cause you to really take everything in front of you into perspective instead of worrying about the past and troubles back home. Expanding your consciousness will help you conjure up your own faults and make you really think about them. This is the time to find out who your authentic self truly is and who you are in this monumental world.