The Importance Of Morehouse College

The Importance Of Morehouse College

Morehouse will be here for you, hoping for you to one day be introduced into the place that thousands of men call home.

422
The Importance Of Morehouse College
TIME.COM

It is eleven o’clock on Thursday morning. 2000 Black men run to King’s Chapel, with hopes of bettering themselves. These men will sit and observe the teachings of world renowned intellectuals, who dare them to be great. For fifty minutes these men are equipped with the armor to take on the World. Once the speaker concludes, These men will quickly lock arms and pledge their lives to this utopia of excellence. They refer to this engagement as Crown Forum. They refer to this pledge as the Hymn, and they refer to this place as Mother Morehouse.

Mother Morehouse has been an incubator of excellence since 1867. In 1867 it was referred to as the Augusta Theological Institute, and its main purpose was to educate Black Men for teaching and ministry. However, Morehouse College has done more than just that. Morehouse is everywhere. Morehouse has produced a network of rich alumni such as;

Dr.Martin Luther King:

*Pastor

*Civil rights activist

*Times Magazine man of the year 1963

*He was the Youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize

*Arguably the symbolic leader of African Americans

Spike Lee:

*Honorary Academy Award Winner

*Emmy Award Winner

*BAFTA Award Winner

*Directed Movies such as, Do The Right Thing, School Daze, Malcolm X and host of other movies

Samuel L. Jackson:

*Oscar Nominated Actor

*Pulp Fiction, Jurassic Park, Django Unchained, The Avengers And many more.

David Satcher:

*Former United States Surgeon General

Jeh Johnson:

United States Secretary of Homeland Security

Julian Bond:

*Social Activist

*Politician

Maynard Jackson:

*First African American Mayor of Atlanta

The List certainly does not stop there, Morehouse Men are running your courtrooms, your hospitals, your fortune 500 companies, your classrooms, and your government.

In a period such as now, where Black men are being demolished based solely because they are Black men, an institution like Morehouse is needed. Morehouse is needed so that it can help Black men around the world unlearn some things that have been detrimental to them not evolving. Morehouse is needed so that it can teach Black men of today that their valued, appreciated, and an imperative asset to the shaping of society. Morehouse is a quintessential depiction of how Black men can be groomed into MOVERS and SHAKERS of the World.

Morehouse College is a place that boasts with history, forces intellectual stimulation and provides opportunities. Morehouse is more than just a college, it’s an experience. Mother Morehouse wants more than for her students to achieve 120 credits at the end of their matriculation. She wants her students to work for success, challenge each other, help each other, build each other up when the whole world wants them to sink. Morehouse pushes for black men to defy stereotypes, because the world rejoices when black men pursue stereotypes.

If you were to pose a question and ask “ How are you certain that Morehouse can compete with other top tier schools?” I would say,

Malcolm X once said “all of our experiences fuse into our personality” and Morehouse College has certainly fused into mine. Mother Morehouse has evolved me, as I look back on my old self and see the growth that I have encountered I am amazed, grateful, and better. From the first day of New Student Orientation, I knew that something inexplicable was held over my life. As my brothers and I stood there on the sacred ground of Morehouse College and the legacy of our predecessors shouting, “This is my life and I take full control of it.” That was my assurance that something so powerfully great was destined for me. When I heard, “ Over the heads of her students, Morehouse holds a crown that she challenges them to grow tall enough to wear.” I knew I had to work. When they echoed Dr. Mays “Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.” I knew I had to achieve what God had put me on this earth to do. Finally, when I heard the famous expression “You can tell a Morehouse Man, but you can’t tell him much.” I knew I had to strive to reach such a distinctive title, and that such a title came with an equal amount of precaution. I would also introduce factual evidence such as,

• As of 2016, Morehouse is the #1 producer of Rhodes Scholars from a HBCU.
  • As of 2016, Morehouse is the #1 baccalaureate-origin institution of black male doctorate recipients.
  • Morehouse College becomes the first historically black college/university to host the U.S. Universities Debating Championships.(Against Harvard and Yale)
  • In 2016, TrendTopper MediaBuzz College Guide ranked Morehouse as the #1 HBCU with the best brand.
  • In 2016, The Alumni Factor ranked Morehouse among the best 50 colleges in the nation. Morehouse was the only Georgia institution in the top 50 list.
  • Forbes magazine annually places Morehouse on its "America's Top Colleges" list.
  • Morehouse was ranked #4 among the nation's Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the U.S. News & World Report 2015 rankings.
  • Morehouse was ranked #127 of the best National Liberal Arts Colleges in the U.S. News 2011 Report.
  • Morehouse is among the top producers of Fulbright Scholars in Georgia.
  • Morehouse is also one of only four historically black colleges ranked in the top tier among the nation's Best Liberal Arts Colleges according to the U.S. News and World Reports 2011 rankings.
  • In 2011, Morehouse received a rarely awarded grade of "A" for its overall core curriculum and was counted among the "hidden gems" in the What Will They Learn?project conducted by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni.[
  • In 2010, according to the Huffington Post, Morehouse ranks among America's Most Grueling Colleges.
  • According to a 2007 joint publication by Newsweek and Kaplan, Inc., Morehouse College was one of the "25 Hottest Schools in America" and the "Hottest Men's College".
  • Newsweek ranks Morehouse among the nation's Best Colleges for the Service Minded.
  • In addition to the above rankings, in 2009 and 2010, the U.S. News reported that America's high school College Counselors ranked Morehouse College # 68 among the Best Liberal Arts Colleges in the Nation for their students.
  • In 2008, Morehouse College was listed among 10 Great Schools for Networking by Forbes magazine.
  • A 2008 National Science Foundation study found that of over 3,000 colleges and universities in the U.S., Morehouse College was the fifth biggest producer of African Americans who eventually earned PhDs in the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics).
  • In a 2003 study, Morehouse was ranked #29 by The Wall Street Journal as being one of the "Top 50 Feeder Schools" for elite graduate and professional schools .
  • Morehouse was ranked #1 three times in a row (2002–2004) as the best school for African Americans for undergraduate study by Black Enterprise magazine.

(Wikipedia….https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morehouse_College)

Morehouse College is a brand that “develops men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership and service.” I encourage you young Black men of the world to consider greatly Morehouse College, because the Morehouse brand is still good and it is needed more than ever in today’s society. Morehouse will be here for you, hoping for you to one day be introduced into the place that thousands of men call home.