To the High School Senior Debating College

It's a chance worth taking

648
"You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose." Dr. Seuss

Many of us have been there. We’ve been a senior in high school being asked where we’re going next. Some of us knew, and some of us weren’t so sure. They say that school isn’t for everyone and that’s definitely true. How could every single person who attends school enjoy it? It’s impossible. Everyone is different and wants a life that they choose. The hard thing about life now is that you usually need an education and some type of degree to work in any high salary career field. Most kids know this and look at their future as a long path of unwanted school years to get to their destination.

Personally, I was not someone who enjoyed high school and all of the work that came along with it. Sure, I loved high school, if you only count the parties, friends, and never-ending entertainment. I didn’t enjoy the work, and to be honest, I usually wouldn’t even do the work. I never enjoyed school and always had my focus on other things I deemed more important. My senior year of high school wasn’t easy for me. I felt as if I was out of the “loop,” and didn’t know what I was going to do with my life. I watched my classmates get accepted to universities, as I watched, living in my wake-up call. Although I didn’t question college, many people in my situation around me did. In fact, some of them never went.

I started college this past September and have enjoyed every last second of it. It is pure freedom. Yes, it is a lot of work for me but knowing there is no one there expecting it makes me want to do it more. I’ve pushed myself the entire semester to work to my fullest potential. Doing this, I see results. I ended the semester with all A’s and one B. That wasn’t even in my dreams in high school. I have never felt better.

Saying this, I want to encourage those high school seniors who are debating college. I never enjoyed school and I can truly say I’m glad I gave college a shot. It is definitely a shot worth taking. Get out there and work to your fullest potential to prove to yourself what you are capable of. Trust me when I say that it is such a rewarding feeling when you prove to yourself that you can actually do what you never thought was possible. Sure you don’t like school now, but college is not comparable to high school.

In college, you aren’t being chased down about assignments. For some odd reason, off of my experience and others’ stories, I have learned that this makes a college student want to do their work more. You are responsible for yourself. You are on your own, and maybe it sounds terrifying when those high school guidance counselors are on your back about it, but it’s a great feeling to be able to choose your own path. You see fresh faces around college, and things are constantly moving. You don’t stick around in one place too long to get bored, sick, or tired.

I know many of my fellow high school classmates that didn’t make it to college. They thought they didn’t need it or just didn’t want to try it out. Those people are either working day and night unsatisfied or doing absolutely nothing good with their lives. I write this to students who are really not sure on where to go next. Think about college. Give it a shot. I promise that it’s worth it.