The Games In Rio Should Have Been Cancelled

Brazil is not able to hold these Olympic games and have bigger issues to worry about

7
AP File

August 5th 2016 marked the beginning of the Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil and it is embarrassing to say the least. From filthy polluted bay waters to government corruption and many other more important issues face the county of Brazil and yet they decide to focus on a few games which will help nobody in their country be any better off in life. The county of Brazil can not even afford to pay its firefighters or police officers working the events and yet they want to hold a international sporting event?

This is a obvious showcase of Brazil's corrupt political system leading to one of the biggest recessions to happen to Brazil in decades, not to mention they declared a state of emergency back in June over lack of being able to pay its public servants. According to the Intercept President Dilma Rousseff herself is currently facing corruption charges and impeachment along with the current interim president Michel Temer has shown to be more corrupt and less favorable then Rousseff.

According to polls in Brazil only about two percent of the population supports him, while over sixty percent want him impeached. While there is plenty of evidence to show corruption in Brazil's government they are not the only one responsible.

The Olympic International Commission or the IOC is also to blame for the choice in venue this year. The New York Post has found evidence connecting the Olympic's related infrastructure to a front for payoff's and kickbacks which has been connected to multiple Brazilian elected officials. The International Olympic Commissions response to these series of incidents was some rhetoric along the lines of this is wrong, do not do this, etc and wagged their finger a couple times. The Chicago Tribune also pointed out the IOC is no stranger to donations or lavish gifts.

In 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic games, IOC president himself Thomas Bach was quoted praising Russian President Vladimir Putin "for his personal commitment to the extraordinary success" in reference to the money Russia poured into Olympic the 2014 winter Olympic games. The IOC is obviously more worried about corporate sponsorship and the money side to forget the spirit of competition the games were meant to be.

Speaking of Vladimir Putin and his country of Russia, a huge doping scandal of Russian athletes has been brought to light. It does seem Putin or least Russia wants to really make the Olympics something to see, at the cost of their athlete's health. A trade they seem really willing to make, which is unnerving. Have you ever thought of maybe just lifting bigger heavier weights? Maybe doing a bit more cardio each day rather than cheating.

While I love science including that of drugs that can strengthen the human body the Olympics are place for natural athletes to show the human limit. It is not a human science experiment! Although the Russian's were the only country caught I know this is commonplace around most athletes it does not condone their actions. They are fueling the drive of cheat to win by any means necessary. The only difference between the doping athletes and the corrupt politicians is the field they play on. That and at least athletes are only hurting themselves; the corrupt politicians are hurting everyone.