The Departure

The Departure

Kobe's farewell tour

143
The Departure

Whether you’re taking a fade away jump shot in a local rec center basketball game or shooting a piece of paper in the trash at work, the word “Kobe” is often accompanied with the shot.

Why?

Kobe Bryant’s flawless jump shot and cold-blooded attitude has made him a basketball pillar throughout the world. Players across the globe have been trying to emulate his play-style since his rookie season (1996-1997). More importantly, competitors around the world try to replicate his competitive nature. Kobe’s competitive nature drives him to outwork all of his competitors, which is why he’s seen immense success in the NBA. Kobe lives by the motto "Scito hoc super omnia....Tempus neminem non manet....Carpe diem.” This translates from Latin to English as “Know this above all else…. Fully use every point, moment, and hour that you have. Time waits for no man…. Seize the day.”

Bryant has accumulated a plethora of accolades throughout his 20-year career in the NBA. He’s a 5-time NBA Champion, 2-time Finals MVP, 2 Olympic Gold Medals, and 25 games with 50 or more points. Kobe has propelled himself in the debate of being the GOAT (greatest of all time).

Kobe Bryant is on his farewell tour as he plans to retire at the end of the 2015-2016 season. Over the past few years the injury bug has bitten Kobe, and we have seen his numbers dwindle down. His contract expires at the end of the season so before he announced his retirement, we knew the end of his career was coming soon. As a 90s baby who has been an avid basketball fan (not a Lakers fan), I’ve only known the NBA with Kobe Bryant apart of it.

Although I'm not a Lakers fan nor do I condone some of Kobe's off the court antics, I believe we are going to miss what he brings to the game. Kobe has always fought. He fought for a three-peat championship run. He fought to rally together a young team to win back to back championships (2008-2009 & 2009-2010). In the past few season, he has fought to stay healthy and stay on the court despite the woes of father time. For those of you who don’t know Kobe or don’t even care about the greatness of The Black Mamba (Kobe), it's important to at least understand how he has been a consistent competitor throughout his career.