The Dark Side Of Dorm Life As Told By Bob's Burgers

Dorm life isn't always sunshine and roses, and the Belcher family does a good job of showing it.

34
Fox Network

Dorm life is undeniably a struggle at times. Living in a building with a bunch of other humans when you yourself (and likely the other humans) have likely never lived with strangers before is bound to have growing pains involved. As a senior who has now spent almost four years of my life in a dorm building, I've been reflecting on what I'll miss (and definitely won't) about dorm living. As "Bob's Burgers" is an amazing show and one of my major obsessions, framing dorm life's good points in terms of Bob's Burgers gifs seemed only appropriate! Let's hop on this journey with Bob, Linda, Tina, Gene, Louise and crew.

1. Trying To Impress Your Roommate Like...

If you're one of the many students who either can't or chooses not to have a single room then meeting the person who will be sharing a space with you for the year is super stressful. Tina's brand of awkward mirrors the way trying desperately to get a new person to like you can feel.

2. Respect For Quiet Hours

There are few things that inspire Louise-style homicidal rage like noise in the hallway after you've finally gotten to sleep. College students are chronically sleep-deprived and waking people up by running through the hall or having loud conversations right outside doors that aren't yours won't win you ANY friends.

3. Public Bathrooms

This face says it all. Thanks, Jimmy Junior.

4. When You Hate Your Dorm Theme

Res. Life people are amazing, and I appreciate all the things they do to make dorm life less awful. Sometimes though, you get stuck with a dorm theme that's less great. (I will never get over the semester I spent on a dorm floor that was Hufflepuff themed as a proud Slytherin.)

5. Hall Meetings Where The Same Question Is Asked 7 Times

Yes, you have to sign your guest in and out every time. No, you can't take up all the dorm washers at the same time. Yes, you are responsible for cleaning up behind yourself. Also yes, that is a dumb question.

6. That One Person Who Uses All The Washers Despite Asking Seven Times If They Were Allowed And Being Told NO

You aren't the only one with clothes. Be a grownup and make a schedule.

7. Having Upstairs Neighbors Who Sound Like This

You don't know what they're doing up there, but sleep isn't looking like it's in your future.

8. When Your Relationship With Your Roomie Implodes

Don't get me wrong; not everyone has roomie drama. But if you do have drama/fights/personality clashes, the close quarters of dorm living make the conflict even worse.

9. When Your Ice Cream Gets Stolen From The Community Freezer

Few things bring people to another Louise-esque homicidal rage like having food you bought for yourself get stolen because the freezer section of your mini-fridge is too small for Ben And Jerry's.

10. Homework

Because no matter how many articles you read about needing to separate your work and sleep space, your desk is a catch-all not a study space.

11. The 100,000th Time You Have To Ask People To Respect Quiet Hours

Sleep is precious, people. Seriously.

12. Time Number 100,001 You Have To Ask About Quiet Hours

Now it's time to play hardball. The sleep-deprivation has reached new heights, and your patience has run out.

13. Looking At The Travesty That Is Your Room After Midterms/Finals

Just keeping your head above water, there hasn't been much time to keep up with general room upkeep. It's looking pretty rough.

14. Cleaning Your Room After Midterms/Finals

You will end up taking many shame trips to the dorm trash room, and probably covered in clothes at some point, but you'll still do it because you're an adult. Not a hero, but an adult.

15. But Even With The Bad Stuff, When You Think About Graduating And Never Seeing Your Dorm Again...

A little happy, but also sobbing uncontrollably.