The Brady Decision

The Brady Decision

The entire country was wrong.

3
The Brady Decision

Roger Goodell, the NFL, and the media were wrong. Football fans everywhere misplaced their faith and the entire country now needs to come to terms with the fact that after months of angry rhetoric, they were wrong. I apologize to the New England Patriots fans out there for so vehemently supporting the Brady suspension, especially now with a federal judge all but saying that my feelings were misplaced.

I should be completely upfront here and provide full disclosure in that I am a die-hard New York Jets fan. I hate everything about the New England Patriots. To me, Bill Belichick is Satan and Tom Brady is his most hideous follower. When the “DeflateGate” news broke, I was all about it. Tom Brady suspended for four games? Six games? An entire season? I was in a state of euphoria. Maybe this would be the season that the Jets would finally win the AFC East again. Brady was gone and Geno Smith was seemingly prepared to take a gigantic leap forward. As a Jets fan, those two thoughts are proving to be incredibly wrong. Smith is out for at least the first four games with a broken jaw, and Brady is back for the entire season. There is no doubt in my mind that Brady is coming back hungry and will put up historic numbers this season in order to prove all of America wrong.

With the ruling finally coming down, wiping out the Tom Brady suspension, what should be the next step?

The next step should be for Roger Goodell to sincerely begin to consider resigning as Commissioner of the National Football League. Goodell has proven to be incompetent in disciplining players properly; he failed the entire country when it came to attacking the domestic violence problem within his sport (with Ray Rice's original two game suspension being one of the most obvious examples). He failed the fans during the 2011 CBA negotiations by putting an entire season at risk. By allowing these distraction to continue, Goodell has also failed the owners of every NFL franchise.

That is the step that should be taken.

What is actually going to happen is a different story, as Roger Goodell has promised to appeal the decision. Instead, Goodell should rip a page out of the Patriots' playbook and swallow his pride and accept the decision. The country is sick of "DeflateGate." It is time for Commissioner Goodell to let everyone move forward and enjoy the new season of football without this distraction.