‘The Bold Type’ Is Inspiring Girls To Take Charge Of Their Destiny And I Am Here For It

Got to go dream about working for Scarlet now.

157

It was my senior year in high school when my friend texted me the trailer to an up and coming show highlighting three bold, badass women: Jane, Sutton, and Kat. The show seemed like the ultimate mix of an ounce of "The Devil Wears Prada," a sprinkle of "Sex and the City," and a boat-load of authentic contemporary challenges. Yet, it was only a year later that I found myself scrolling through shows on Hulu when I started (and finished) watching the first two seasons of the daringly feminist show.

And, if you haven't binge-watched Freeform's "The Bold Type," this is your hint to spend tonight with a bowl of popcorn, a fluffy blanket, and a strong, confident threesome making a difference at a buzzing fashion magazine – "Scarlet."

Apart from the cliché and overused "chick flick" topics – relationships, drama, and rumors – "The Bold Type" takes on issues like social media, racism, slut-shaming, immigration, sexual orientation, identity, women's health, gun-violence sexual assault, including the popularized #MeToo and #WhyIDidn'tReport movements.

All three heroines take control of their lives and, although difficult, don't let life knock them down. They are influencers and refuse the silencing of their voices, no matter the stakes. Their careers at "Scarlet Magazine" are the center of the show, which in and itself is already a compelling, positive message to young girls. Plus, the pointer to Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Scarlet Letter," which is all about defying society, standing up for oneself, and self-independence.

The protagonists are gorgeous all-stars who push through the limitations placed on them. Katie Stevens is Jane, the naive, Type-A writer who has big dreams for her journalistic capabilities. She wants to follow empowering stories and through the two seasons struggles with finding her expression. Sutton, played by Meghann Fahy, pushed herself into the fashion world as her assistant position wasn't cutting it. She learns how to believe in herself and her stupendous eye for fashion. Last but not least, Aisha Dee is Scarlet's head of social-media, Kat, whose on top of everything that has to do with the internet, even internet-trolls. Plus she falls in love with creative-output Adena, a Muslim artist that struggles with getting her American visa. The women always speak of relationships and the men and women in their lives, but they remain autonomous and indestructible.

Never do they depend on their partner or feel inferior. Ergo, season 2 ends with Jane acting as her own "Prince Charming."

Finally, the show divulges ways in which women can support one another rather than knock each other down, which, as "Variety" observes, is unusual: "TV shows rarely feature multiple women with big dreams without setting them against each other." The best friends have a strong, relatable bond and encourage one another through life, work, and love. Even when they fight and disagree about controversial topics, they always find their way back to one another. The girls listen and appreciate what each one has to say and this essential communication reveals the unique connection they have. The executive producer commented, "They were always going to lean on each other in those big moments of life challenges. We found this tone for the show where, even when there are these hard challenges... they're there for each other. There is still this comfort, and it's not just 'me against the world,' it's 'me and my squad.'"

"Realistic, nuanced and comforting treatment of female friendship on TV."

In addition, the editor-in-chief of the magazine, Jacqueline acts as a positive role model and professional guide to the three women as they navigate their careers. She is the figure that Jane, Sutton, and Kat look up to and is always there to give her experienced advice.

Obviously, working at a magazine's headquarters in New York City is probably not as glamorous as the television show perceives it to be; however, in comparison to more oblivious scripts, "The Bold Type" meddles with issues that truly matter and does so in a captivating manner.

And if that isn't enough to entice you to start watching the badass threesome, the killer jams in the show will.

Stay tuned for season 3 coming this spring.