The Best Ways To Spend April In Philadelphia

Proof that April showers do in fact bring awesome events, festivals, and experiences to Philly.

147
tpsdave

As spring weather (slowly, but surely) begins to make its official debut in the Philadelphia region, we're itching to get out and about and explore some of the city's offerings for the month of April. It seems like there's something for just about everybody to enjoy, from sporting events to science festivals! Enjoy the month of April, Philly! (And try to make it to some of these happenings!)

1. Phillies Home Opener at Citizens Bank Park.

Thursday, April 5 at 3:05pm

There’s no better way to kick off this month then enjoying a day at Citizens Bank Park filled with baseball, food, and family fun! The Phillies organization is hosting their annual Opening Day Block Party from 12-3, so get there early if you want to ride a ferris wheel, get your face painted, and play some tailgate games with your friends and family! (You can attend the festivities outside the stadium without a ticket!) The Phillies will be taking on the Miami Marlins at 3:05pm for the 2018 Nemours Opening Day.

In addition to the block party, all fans will be receiving a commemorative Knit Hat upon entry to the game!

2. Phillies Opening Night at Citizens Bank Park.

Saturday, April 7 at 6:05pm

If you can’t make it to Thursday’s fun-filled day, your next chance to catch a game is Saturday night—the first night game of the season in Citizens Bank Park! While there isn’t a block party, there is a giveaway! Fans will receive a McDonald’s Opening Night T-Shirt. The Phillies are teaming up with Autism Speaks to host Autism Awareness Night, which features a $4 discount off certain tickets when you purchase them here.

3. Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival of Greater Philadelphia.

April 7-15 (Various locations)

This event began in 1998 with a focus on tree planting efforts as the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia (JASGP) pledged to plant 1,000 cherry trees within Fairmount Park. When their goal was attained in 2007, the efforts have continued to spread in communities throughout the Philadelphia region.

JASGP is proud to say that their attendance has reached tens of thousands annually within the past 6 years.

While there are tons of events benefiting this organization during the festival, the most popular is “Sakura Sunday” which is held at Fairmount Park’s Horticulture Center. You can find more information about ticket pricing and featured entertainment here.

4. Manayunk StrEAT Food Festival & Manayunk Restaurant Week.

Festival: April 15 from 11am-5pm

Restaurant Week: April 16-27

The Manayunk StrEAT Food Festival is a biannual dining celebration on Main Street, so if you don’t catch it this year you’ll have to wait until 2020! There will be over 50 of Philadelphia’s best food trucks and gourmet food vendors in attendance, so make sure you arrive on an empty stomach! The festival will go from 11am-5pm, rain or shine. The two weeks following the festival is known as Manayunk’s Restaurant Week, where diners can enjoy three-course prix fixe menus throughout the area. To see the full list of performers, and participating vendors and restaurants, click here.

5. The Philadelphia Antiques & Art Show.

April 20-22

The Philadelphia Antiques & Art Show is a fantastic opportunity for those who are interested in experiencing captivating examples of Colonial through mid-century fine and decorative pieces of art. This event takes place on the Marine Parade Ground at The Navy Yard.

Although there is a separate ticket to purchase for these experiences, there are special guests throughout the duration of the event, such as Martha Stewart. (Yes. You can meet *the* Martha Stewart and discuss the art of nurturing flowers in person.)

A full list of exhibitors can be found here. Tickets are $20 for all and $18 for seniors or students at the door.

6. NEDA Walk in Philadelphia.

April 22 from 9am-11am

This year's National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) Walk is sponsored by Aerie, and will happen on April 22 at XFINITY Live! and continue onto Pattison Ave. The Renfrew Center and NEDA invite you to join empowered men and women as they take a stand and raise awareness and vital funds for an often overlooked struggle of mental illness.

There's nothing more rewarding than supporting an extremely worthy cause on a beautiful April morning! Register here as an individual or team. (Don't worry, if you don't sign up by April 20, you can still do it the morning of the walk when you get there!)

6. Philadelphia Science Festival.

April 20-28 (Various locations)

While there are over 80 events occurring during the festival’s week-long stretch, one of the highlights is the Science Carnival on the Parkway—and it’s FREE! This finale event takes place on April 28th from 10am-4pm on the Parkway with tons of demonstrations, hands-on experiments, games and more electrifying entertainment for everyone to enjoy!

While this week is dedicated to family fun and full of activities for kids, adults can also have a blast at events like the Fishtown Science Crawl offering drink specials, science demonstrations, and more exciting science-oriented activities at some of Fishtown’s most popular venues! Events like these do require tickets, available for purchase here.

7. Penn Relays Carnival.

April 26-28

The 124th Penn Relays is the world’s oldest of its kind, and held annually at the University of Pennsylvania’s Franklin Field. Over the course of the three-day event, there are high-school, collegiate, masters, and even Olympic athletes competing in track and field games. Fans and athletes travel to Franklin Field from all corners of the country and across the world to attend the Penn Relays year after year. Single-day tickets and three-day passes are available to join in on the fun!

8. El Carnaval de Puebla en Filadelfia.

April 29 from 12pm-3pm

If you’re looking for an authentic Cinco de Mayo celebration, head on over to Washington Avenue for a day full of colorful parades and street fairs! The participants wear extravagant costumes and masks from Mexico to honor the country’s rich history and their military victory celebrated through Cinco de Mayo. Philadelphia’s event attracts many participants from the surrounding region and promises a day full of culturally-immersed fun!