The Benefits of Doing Nothing

The Benefits of Doing Nothing

To manage stress and become healthier by relaxing

225
pixabay.com

Sometimes a relaxation vacation is just what one needs, just like a little stress if beneficial for oneself. So here are some tips to help you relax and unwind after a busy period, whether it’s a stressful day at work or a busy week of tests.

1. Relaxing is good for your heart

You may have heard that stress is bad for your heart and can lead to complications like high blood pressure, heart disease, among others. The research is almost unanimous in the favor of relaxation. Among the heart related health risks that stress may cause, stress may also be a factor in weight loss and lack of exercise that many people suffer from.

2. Relaxing helps fight the common cold

Ever notice how flu season always pops up around the first round of tests or midterms? Scientists at Carnegie Mellon University has found that individuals having bouts of stress that last longer than a month almost double their chances of catching a cold. Why? Researchers think that inflammation is the key to this risk.

3. Relaxing keeps you slim

Stress induces a chemical in your body called Cortisol, which increases your appetite which makes junk food looks even better. So trying to lose those extra pounds in time for the holidays, try taking a few minutes every day to relax and enjoy yourself.

4. Relaxing will help you sleep better

Who doesn’t love sleep? It is great in making sure your body rests and is ready to function at it’s finest the next day. So take a few minutes before bed and just relax. Experts even suggest putting the phone down for a few minutes to help ensure you don’t let the stresses of everyday life carrying into your sleep.

5. Control your mood better

Stress is not only harmful to your heart and physical health but it can be detrimental to your mental health as well. Progressive muscle relaxation has been shown to help control your anxiety and stress levels. While it takes some practice to master, it could be a helpful thing to try and pick up as classes start to heat up.