The Aftermath Of The Lowdown

The Aftermath Of The Lowdown

The New York Primary and everything going forward.

8
The Aftermath Of The Lowdown

In the wake of the New York primary, I feel the need to address the Bernie or Bust movement, something that I have tried to steer clear of up to this point. But first, allow me to explain why I, as well as the majority of Bernie Sanders’ supporters, support him rather than Hillary Clinton. Despite what a lot of Hillary’s most diehard supporters spread, it has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman and he is a man. I would love to see a female president (cough, cough, Elizabeth Warren, cough, cough). But I want the right woman president. I want a true progressive, not a self-described moderate like Hillary Clinton.

I have noticed similarities between some of those who support Hillary Clinton and the majority of those who support Donald Trump on the Republican side (a strange comparison, I know, but hear me out). During last week’s Democratic debate in Brooklyn, the Young Turks interviewed several of Hillary’s supporters and it was not all that surprising when they had a hard time naming any specific policies that she holds that they prefer over Bernie’s. Why is that? Because many of Hillary’s supporters are throwing their support behind her because she is Hillary Clinton. Not because her policies are better, not because they agree with her more, not because she is a moderate, but because she is Hillary Clinton. Imagine, if you will, if it were anyone else. Fill in the blank of any establishment Democratic senator or governor who had all the same viewpoints that Clinton holds. Would that person be doing as well against Bernie as Hillary is? No, probably not. In fact, I’m willing to bet that such a candidate would be losing pretty badly.

Hillary does have one thing going for her: her name. The problem is that is not a legitimate reason to support her. As a Bernie supporter, this actually has very little to do with Bernie himself. I’ve been accused of being biased on many occasions, and you know what? They’re damn right. I am biased. I am biased towards facts. I am biased towards liberal and progressive ideas. I am biased to my own political ideology, not Bernie the person. I find Elizabeth Warren’s and Jill Stein’s political views to be very much in step with Sanders and I would vote for either of them in a heartbeat. A good heap of Hillary’s supporters are biased as well, but in a way that is not so respectable. They are biased to Hillary Clinton, the person. Hillary Clinton, the politician. Trump supporters are similar in that way. They support Donald Trump because he is Donald Trump. Not for policies (he contradicts himself constantly in that area). Not for substance (because he doesn’t have substance). They support him because he is a brand. Similar to how James Patterson’s readers continue to go back. They are interested in that brand of cheap thrills and fast-paced storytelling, regardless of who really wrote the book.

Bill Maher said recently that the Bernie or Busters are just as bad as the Hillary supporters who cry ‘sexist’ and ‘Bernie Bro’ every time Bernie comments on her questionable at best record and every time he stops her from interrupting him during a debate. While I respect the hell out of Bill Maher and agree with him on many different issues, he could not be more wrong in this case. I have a lot of sympathy for those who identify as Bernie or Bust. They are passionate. Their hearts are in the right place. They have many moral red lines that prevent them from voting for Clinton because she continues to cross those lines time and time again. They are in the right place politically, and they refuse to move. That’s respectable. The Hillary supporters who call Bernie supporters ‘Bernie Bros’ and ‘sexists’ are far worse. The majority of Bernie supporters (I admit there are a few assholes in every group that attack her based on her gender) attack her questionable record. They attack her policy positions. They don’t trust her (and for good reason considering how often she has flip-flopped over the years). It’s nothing personal. Hillary supporters who resort to accusing everyone who opposes her of being sexist actually hurt the cause and discredit you as supporters. It is a sleazy, Republican-like attack that I would expect from Ted Cruz or Donald Trump supporters, not the supporters of the Democratic front-runner. These two groups of people are not alike at all. One group has their heart in the right place, the other uses slander and hatred to their advantage. That cannot be forgiven or respected in any way.

In closing, I would like to speak specifically to the Bernie or Bust crowd. It’s not over yet. I get that. But Hillary Clinton just won New York. Like it or not, that is what happened. While I will continue to support Bernie until the end, we must start to consider the possibility that Hillary Clinton will become the nominee. It’s depressing, I know, but we must keep it real. I’m not going to lie, New York was a big blow and I’m not sure that we can recover from it. So, if Hillary wins the nomination, should we vote for her? I’m actually split on this issue. The Democrat in me wants to say ‘vote for her, we cannot risk a Trump or Cruz presidency!’ The progressive in me wants to say ‘No, I have my principles.’ So, if you live in a state that historically goes Republican or Democrat regardless, I will not lose any sleep if you write Bernie in or vote third party (such as Jill Stein of the Green Party). If you are in a swing state that could go either way, I begrudgingly tell you with the disgusting taste of bile in my mouth to go out and vote of Hillary. I don’t like it any more than you do, believe me. I feel sick to my stomach just talking about it, but it is reality and we must keep it real. Hillary will be a far better president than either of the GOPers. We can’t afford a Trump or Cruz presidency. Not now, not ever.