Why My Mid-Semester Crisis Wasn't All Bad.

Thanks To My Mid-Semester Crisis, I'm Remembering Why I'm In School

With the release of midterm grades and finals stress kicking in, here comes the bi-annual mid semester crisis.

30
Library

Two papers, one research project, and one more midterm to study for. That's all I have left to do before finals week, and it feels like a lot. So, in classic college student fashion, I had a good old mid-semester crisis. I try to think of positive spins with these kinds of things though. If I don't have at least a little crisis during the semester, my classes for the said semester aren't challenging me enough, or I'm simply not putting enough effort into what I'm doing. So, here's why I'm strangely kind of glad for the mid-semester crisis, and why it's reminding me of why exactly I'm in school, studying what I'm studying.

I want to go into a field that is all about critical, analytical problem-solving in my future, and having to navigate the uncertain roads this semester has taken me down has definitely tested my ability to do so. I've had a lot to do this semester, from internships and a part-time job to trying to maintain my grades and leave enough room for de-stressing and my personal life. This semester has probably been the most difficult for me yet in terms of classes, and I've managed to get through almost all of it without thinking about dropping out of college more than twice.

I know that getting through this mid-semester crisis, just like all the others, is a sign that I can do this, and I can continue to push myself to do the best I can. This hasn't been easy, and I think the best thing I've taken from this semester is being able to approach things from a more creative and analytical angle that I may not have taken before.

A huge part of the mid-semester crisis is remembering and appreciating the support systems in your life, be it family, friends, or even the ways you support yourself. I'm lucky to have people surrounding me who always try to make my day in some way, and who I can always come to when I have an issue or feel like the semester was really bogging down on me.

I haven't always had a system like that around me before or reached out to my family about these kinds of these things, and now I'm glad and have come to appreciate them more than ever. I couldn't have gotten anywhere without them, and if it weren't for them, I'd be locked up in my room still stressing about my final paper for my history class all week.

This crisis has also made me more mindful of my limits, as well as made me more understanding with time management. I never get back to my apartment before 5 PM anymore due to work or classes, and I always have a long list of things I want to get done. Whether it be researching for my paper, getting my readings done for a class, or just trying to get in a good workout, the overwhelming feeling of never getting everything done that I wanted to was a heavy weight on my shoulders.

I'm a completionist, I want nothing more than to get things done. However, letting things overwhelm me made me remember the importance of breaks and taking time for myself in order to complete what I needed to complete. Time management is a term that gets thrown around a lot, especially in college, and I finally learned just how important it was to manage your time wisely and focus on what is important in your life.

A mid-semester crisis isn't necessary to be grateful for your ability to go to school or pursue your dreams or goals in life, and it definitely isn't something I want anyone to go through. However, I know I'm not the only who deals with these, and if you do, I want you to know it's okay to feel this way. School is stressful, and sometimes the stress can be overwhelming and upsetting, and you can feel uncertain if it's all worth it. Next time you feel that way though, remind yourself of what you are learning in school and why the goal you are pursuing means so much to me. Also, think about your support system and all the people you're grateful for, maybe even text or call them, and always remember it's okay to take a break or time for yourself. Everyone has their own pace and their own way of getting things accomplished to the level they want them to be, find yours.