Thankful For What My Parents Instilled In Me

My hard work is a credit to these guys

35
Green Living Ideas

I am thankful for my work ethic.

I was blessed to have two loving parents who showed me firsthand just what it takes to be successful. I grew up seeing them claim their own success while working their asses off. Sure, there were some pep talks but actions speak louder than words.

My parents worked, and still work, six days a week, every week. They never took time off for vacation, we never went on a family vacation. (Luckily the grandparents had us covered on that front.) It wasn't until about six years ago that they left their shop closed for several days to visit the grandchildren every year after Christmas.

Other than that, it was early mornings, late nights every single holiday imaginable. My brother and I would hang out in the backroom watching Saturday morning cartoons, scarfing down Chick-Fil-A biscuits every weekend. There was nothing unique about it to us. It was just how we grew up.

I am thankful for my drive.

My parents did not own the shop when they first started running it. However, they own it now. They have been able to create a name for themselves locally by selling and arranging flowers. Yes, they own and run a flower shop. Impressive, right?

Their determination to succeed is written in their actions. They worked hard to put my brother and me in private school. They worked hard so that they can live on the lake now. They worked hard to be able to give the grandchildren all they can give.

I am thankful for my personality.

My father gave me his courageous spirit in talking to strangers and engaging with anyone I want to. Growing up I remember being so embarrassed as he would befriend the most random of people in the grocery store. I now see myself doing this naturally as I venture into the unknown that is life.

My mother gave me her fun spirit and thoughtfulness (some of it, anyway). Her laughter, kindness and compelling nature to ask you how your day was all stick with me as I interact in my personal and professional life.

So, yes, I am thankful for all that I have been given, and all that has come my way this year. However, I want to give credit where credit is due. My parents are to blame, and I cannot thank them enough for that.