Why I'm Thankful I Grew Up In A Family Daycare

They are the siblings I never asked for but were blessed with.

36
Danielle Kobriger

To send your child to a public daycare or a family daycare is a decision most parents have to make. Of course, there are benefits to both. The number of kids your child will be associated with, the environment your child is in, and the number of caretakers varies. There is nothing wrong with either choice, as long as your child is safe and you are happy with the service all is well.

I was very lucky and grew up in a wonderful family daycare about a mile up the road from me. I can't even begin to imagine how different my life would be if my parents had decided to send me anyplace else. 20 years later and I am still close to my caretaker. I have gone to her for advice, to vent about life's obstacles, and I've just ridden along on simple errand runs. I was even lucky enough that 18 years later I become certified to be a substitute caretaker for her. My daycare provider not only took care of me when I was young and my listening skills were not up to par, but she has taken care of me when I was 19 and needed advice on jobs and college. Over the past 20 years, she has become one of the biggest role models in my life, and everyday I am thankful to have someone as amazing, and caring as her around.

Beyond having an amazing caretaker, my two-year-old playmates and I have become life long friends. I am the eldest child but always wanted an older sibling. I found that at the daycare. In fact, I found more than one, I found multiple. We have this unbreakable bond that we have created through the many years of stealing each other's toys, fighting over the same swing, and pulling each others hair. As we grew up we continued to strengthen our bond in more civil ways. Whenever we reunite there are always "remember when" conversations about nap time, cookie making, or playing with Barbies. Reminiscing about the good ole days helps to keep us all sane while we encounter tough parts of life such as college and bills.

I, along with my fellow daycare 'siblings' would agree that we truly did luck out. We had the best caretaker around and the best bunch of playmates around. A bunch that no matter how much we grow up or how long we go without seeing each other we will never forget.