working with kids

5 Things That I’ve Learned While Working In Childcare

While It’s A Great Field To Work In, It’s Not Always Sunshine and Rainbows

1123
Designed on Canva

For me, I have worked in childcare for collectively, two years now. During this time, I’ve learned a thing or two about this field. While I love my job, and I love what I do, it’s not always easy as some may think it is. It’s not for everyone. During this time, I like to believe that I have learned a thing or two along the way. So, I thought that I would share them with you all!!

1. Kids say the darndest things

Designed on Canva

I started to write some of things that they have said as well as some of the conversations that we have had, and honestly, kids say the darndest things at times. Sometimes, may catch you off guard. There are times when you just have to roll with it. These happen to be some of my favorite conversations that I have ever had.

For example, one of my kids saw my phone, and they told me that I had a phone even though I wasn’t a mother. They acted like it was surprising in a way.

Another one was when I talked to a kid in my class about karate. I asked if she liked it, and she said that she did along with how she had three boyfriends.

2. Kids have no filter at times

Designed on Canva

There are times when I’m taken back by what kids say. They can be sarcastic and sassy along with being completely honest. At times, they will also say the first thought that comes to mind.

For example, I was working on something to put on one of the bulletin boards. I was writing the word; “September”, and I was trying to make it look nice. I wrote the month in highlighter first before writing it over again with a pen. I was trying to be artsy and make it look someone nice and presentable. Well, one of my kids came over, and told me what they really thought about it. After asking what I was doing, the child told me; “that doesn’t look very good.”

3. It might not be a big deal or hard to you, but it might be to them

Designed on Canva

I knew to this to an extend that I was working with children, mainly four and five year olds. Like with all of us, and how we go through things differently, so do children. While I was prepared for this to some degree, there were times that I had to remind myself of this.

Some things I wasn’t expecting a meltdown over, and other things that I had expected a meltdown for, didn’t happen. It all depends on the child as well as the situation. Also, it depends on the day too. The same kid could care less about a certain situation, but the next time, it would be the main focus under center stage.

Same goes with education.

Some will do math easily, but struggle with their handwriting while another will think it’s a piece of cake.

You might be doing a worksheet that you think that no one will have issues with, but one or two might have a few questions on the worksheet.

Just as they are learning, so are you.

Everyone is different with every single situation, and everyone learns differently as well as at a different speed and process. Just like you do. It’s okay.

Which leads me to my next point.

4. Every child is different, and will need something different from you

Designed by Canva

Every child wants and needs your attention in some way even though it’s hard at times when you have fifteen children in your class, all fighting for your attention.

I try to connect with each one, and try to do something with each child whether that is reading a book with them, playing in a center with the children in that center, giving a pop-it to a child when they need it, giving them encouragement, when they do the same trick over and over again, giving them a hug, sitting by them and talking to them, playing their favorite song so they can dance and/or sing along with it, and so much more. Knowing how to calm them down, how to be there for them.

I can’t always give my children one on one time, but I let them know that they can come talk to me at any time. That when they need that one on one time, that they can come talk to me about it. When they don’t ask, sometimes I do. Sometimes, I direct them to a small group, and we do something together as a group. If they need a break, I give them one because just like we need a break, so do them.

5. You’re Going To Have Really Hard Days, Really Good Days, and Everything In Between

Designed on Canva

There are hard days that make you want to quit and never return, and there are good days that make you want to stay. I know there are a lot of hard and stressful jobs out there, and teaching is one of them. There are days where I think that I don’t get paid enough for this while other days, I’m making a difference in this world.

This is an inside look from a teacher in the childcare setting. This is my perspective. It might not be everyone’s perspective on things. Some might be able to relate to one thing or another. I do hope that you when you are finished reading this, that you get something from it.

At the end of the day, I learned a lot from my job and the children just like I hope they are learning from me.