Thankful For Insecurity

Thankful For Insecurity

2

Some look in the mirror and aren't satisfied. Some look at their character and aren't proud of it. Some look at their relationships and wonder if they're good enough.

But what does 'enough' mean? What does it even look like? We wonder if we meet the standards of this one little word, 'enough.'

I will tell you: you are not enough.

You never will be. And that is very much a positive thing in my book. Here's why:

If you were good at everything and had everything you wanted, you'd have absolutely no goals to attain. There are gaps in our abilities because we are human. We spend so much time analyzing other people's talents and callings around us that we forget our own. Insecurity can, in some situations, hinge on comparison. I love the quote that Einstein once said, "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it'll live it's whole life thinking that it is stupid." Comparing yourself to someone only makes you realize that you're not enough in your area of life, but, in reality, your capabilities are different.

If I wasn't insecure, I would be unable to empathize with other people. For about 6 plus years, I have struggled with skin problems. About a year ago it fluctuated and got pretty bad, and I was hopeless about finding a solution. During that time of my life, I began to see people through a different lens. I began to have more compassion for those who struggle with what they look like, and encourage them that they are more than what their skin looks like. I also noticed those people who would hide in the corner at parties and get really loud when they got uncomfortable and felt insecure.

I get it.

I get what it feels like to feel awkward and unattractive and stupid and unoriginal.

You will never, ever be enough. Not in someone else's shoes. But in your own, you fill them perfectly.

I am thankful that I am insecure. I am thankful that I don't measure up. I am thankful that I serve a God that is my security and that I don't have to lean on myself or others for validation. He is enough, and you are enough because of him.

Walk in your own soles.

Hope