An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Parents

Why I'm thankful for the things in my life.

267
Hannah Marie Cecil

As Thanksgiving is approaching I can't help but be thankful for all that I have been blessed with. I have an amazing family and job. My boyfriend is so kind and encouraging . I'm honestly blessed beyond measure. When I started dating my significant other I couldn't have imagined how much his family would mean to me. From the very first time I met them at our church to my high-school graduation, Monday-night dinners, late-night football games and all of the moments in-between they have always helped me feel at home. So, family here's a lovely little list of sorts for all of the reasons why I'm thankful to be dating your son.

First off, Thank you for raising the man of my dreams. I've told you time and time again, but your son is all I've ever wanted. From meeting all of my selfish "wishes" on my future husband list from when I was thirteen ( brown eyes, athletic, handsome... etc.) to being the most faithful, goofy and selfless man, he meets every criterion, every wish, every desire I've ever had. I'm absolutely in love with the way he plays with my little sister and our small group boys. He's so great with kids and that's all thanks to you. I love the way he talks to my parents and grandparents and family. I love that he reminds me of my daddy. I am so in love with all of the little things he does to make sure I know I am loved. I know you think you are lucky, but I'm the lucky one.

Thank you for teaching him to love well. He has watched you love each other well. He has watched you pray together. He has watched you comfort one another. He has watched you laugh and cry and love. Thank you. Thank you for raising him to wear his heart on his sleeve, to love endlessly, deeply and without abandon. He has been a shoulder to cry on and a best friend to confide in. He has kept me laughing and smiling from our very first conversation. He's taught me to love myself and to be confident in who Christ has made me to be, all of which I'm sure you taught him.

Thank you for not only making me feel like part of your family but actually welcoming me into your family. I'm so thankful for our family dinners. I love that I'm not only close to you, but that I am loved deeply by grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins that I would never have known had it not been for love. Thank you for the memories from countless football games and family gatherings, they will be cherished forever.

Thank you for letting me steal him away. I know that you love him unconditionally and want to spend time with him. So thank you for rearranging holiday plans and for giving up countless weekends to let us be together. Him getting to connect with my family means more to me than you will ever know.

So Thank you for all that you do for us. I know that sometimes we seem ungrateful and "us" focused, but we are so so so grateful for all that you do to make sure that we know we are loved. I'm so thankful that God has a plan, and that y'all are a huge part of it. I'll always happily be your "forever".