To My Life Mentor, Thank You For

To My Life Mentor, Thank You For

I want to impact someone’s life just as much as you’ve impacted mine.

2229
To My Life Mentor, Thank You For
Personal Photo

A thank you to my mentor,

I don’t think you realize how much you mean to me.

There are not enough words in the world that could explain my appreciation for you. I’ve known you since I was 15 years old. Now that I am 18 years old and in my freshman year of college, I have an even bigger appreciation for you than ever before. You have seen me in some of the weakest points of my life and you have seen me during the best times. I call on you as my role model because you exemplify everything that a young person should strive to be. You are kind-hearted, pure, and humble. As a child, I never really had a mentor. I’m so happy that God brought you into my life when he did.

I was a sophomore in high school. I was very young and vulnerable.

I had just met my first love, I was that quiet girl who kept to herself, and it was just the beginning of my high school years. You got to see me grow as an individual and we kind of went on a journey together from my young high school teen self to my young adult self. Every challenge that I have gone through you were always the one there to help fix me after all the aftermath. I need to thank you for a couple things.

“When the road looks rough ahead and you’re miles and miles from your nice warm bed, you just remember what your ole pal said, yeah you got a friend in me” - Randy Newman

Thank you for always believing me

No matter what, you always believed me. When I felt like I couldn’t go through any sort of obstacle, you always pushed me to my best ability and said, “You just need to believe!” There was never a time where you just gave up on me. You always stood by my side through it all and for that, I am internally grateful.

“I Believe!” - The Polar Express

Thank you for helping me keep my head on straight

I can’t count the number of times where I have come to you in complete panic mode! You always had the right thing to say! I remember on one occasion specifically you said to me, “You can’t go through life stressing over everything. It’s not good for you. How can we figure out a solution to this in a calm way?” and you said that in the calmest voice - even though I was screaming and panicking. I will forever admire your calm and patient ways. So, thank you for always helping me keep everything calm and in perspective during those days where I thought the world was going to end.

“Hakuna Matata, it means no worries” - The Lion King

Thank you for giving me the wisest advice

You’ve always given me the most genuine and honest advice. Your advice is always from the heart and that’s why I always confided in you. Thank you so much for your wise words - I will forever treasure them.

“When the waves are flooding the shore, and I can’t find my way home anymore, that’s when I look at you” - Miley Cyrus

Thank you for teaching me self-worth

There have several times where I have come to you during my self-doubt. I did not believe in myself and I would constantly put myself down. You taught me that I need to love myself and appreciate the person that I am. There have been times where I wasn’t allowing myself the amount of respect that I deserve. You’ve shown me that I deserve better than what I was giving myself. I never understood the true meaning of self-worth until I met you. Thank you for teaching me that I am worth more than what I think.

“If I go there’s just no telling how far I’ll go” - Moana

Thank you for owning my individuality

My high school years were probably my most challenging years - as you know. I felt like I couldn’t be my true self around everyone. I felt as if I was the odd one out. You taught me to own my personality. I wanted to be like the rest of the girls, but you taught me that it’s ok to be different. Most girls would party on the weekends or go out with friends. I would go to Barnes and Noble on the weekend to catch up on the most recent books or I would go see a play with my family. You taught me that it’s ok to do all those things and that as long as I am doing what I love, I shouldn’t care about the opinions of others.

“To thine own self be true” - William Shakespeare

Thank you for checking up on me

There have been times where my relationship with you felt distant because I grew up and went on to college but you always stay in contact with me. We keep in contact even more now than ever before. I was so used to seeing you every day, it was easier to come to you when I needed your advice. After I left high school, I thought that I would lose communication with you and I was completely wrong. We’re always keeping in touch and that is something I am very grateful for. I know that I can come to you for advice about anything that life throws at me! It is nice to know that I have somebody who will always sit and talk with me about anything.

“You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I’ll come running to see you again” - James Taylor

Thank you for fixing me

I saved this one for last on purpose. Recently I went through the hardest time of my life. You were the first person to say “What can I do to help?” I felt as if the world was against me. Everything felt dark and it felt like nothing would get better. I lost myself for a while. I didn’t know who or where to go to because the situation was just conquering my life. I finally mustered up the courage to come talk to you about a problem that was really difficult to discuss. You fixed me. You took me out of this deep dark hole of weakness and turned me back into the person I really am. I never thought that I would be me again. I wouldn’t be where I am today without you! So, thank you for fixing me. I am more than thankful for you.

“Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones, and I will try to fix you” - Coldplay

Lastly,

I know that you feel as if you’re just an average person but believe me you are so much more. You are a perfect human in my eyes. You have impacted my life so much in the last four years. I’m extremely thankful for all the talks we’ve had and all of the good times we’ve had together. I hope that one day I can be a mentor to someone and take them under my wing. I want to impact someone’s life just as much as you’ve impacted mine.

“Because I knew you, I have been changed for good." - Wicked The Musical