A Thank You Letter To Young Life Capernaum

Working with Young Life Capernaum was one of the best decisions I ever made for myself

33

Choosing to be a part of Young Life was one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself. If you are unfamiliar with what Young Life is, let me explain it to you. Young Life is a non-denominational Christian ministry where kids starting in 6th grade can come, have fun, be accepted for where they are at in their relationship with Christ, and learn more about God. Capernaum is the special education side of Young Life for people between the ages of 12-21. I was a student in Young Life all throughout high school and a Capernaum leader for most of high school, and still today. Although I am a leader for Capernaum rather than a student, I have still have gotten a lot out of it. If you ask any Capernaum leader they will most likely jokingly, but not so jokingly, tell you that they get more out of Capernaum than the students do!

First off, I would like to thank Capernaum for introducing me to some of the best friends I could ever ask for. Both the students in Capernaum and the other leaders are some of the kindest, most loving people you will ever meet. These people do not care how silly you look while you dance around or get pied in the face, they are just glad to be there laughing along and having fun with you! I would highly recommend getting some friends as awesome as my Capernaum friends!

I would also like to thank Capernaum for giving our kiddos such wonderful parents. They provide all of us leaders with a meal before every single club, and it is just such a wonderful feeling to be able to share a meal with friends. These parents also bring their kids to club every other Friday, which without that we would not be able to do what we do! All of our Capernaum parents are so loving and supporting towards all of us leaders and they go out of their way to show their appreciation for us in every way possible!

Next I would like to thank Capernaum for all of the wonderful experiences. Getting to go to camp with one of our Capernaum friends is the highlight of my summer. Although I of course go to provide a great experience for the Capernaum kids, I can't deny that I love going to camp too! Zip lining, parasailing, volleyball tournaments, and hanging out on the lake are all special experiences that I get to share with some of my best friends every year! Along with the activities and experiences that happen at camp, there are other things like going on mission trips to serve God, and hand delivering Thanksgiving cards to nursing homes! The variety of experiences that I receive by simply being a leader are endless!

Last, but most definitely not least, I would like to thank Young Life Capernaum for showing me what inclusivity is. I have always thought of myself as someone who is inclusive, but Capernaum has been a place where I can go and see this inclusiveness in everyone around me. There is not a single person there that would disagree with the fact that including and treating people who have disabilities as equal is important. Nobody at Capernaum uses the R-Word, because we all understand how hurtful and cruel that word is. Not only has Capernaum taught me how to be inclusive towards those with disabilities, but also towards everyone in general. Our kiddos with special needs walk through those doors every other Friday, arms wide open, greeting everyone at club with hugs and smiles. Those kids love their leaders as much as we love them, and it is wonderful to be in an environment where there is nothing but love that goes around.

Young Life Capernaum has taught me so many things, and I could never express how thankful I am to get to be a part of this group! So, thank you Capernaum! Thank you for the lifelong friends and memories. I can't wait to see what's to come!

If you are interested in joining Young Life Capernaum, visit the Young Life website to learn more and to find the nearest Capernaum to you! www.younglife.org