Teenagers and Politics

Teenagers and Politics

Why are we always in the wrong?

2025
www.kirbasinstitute.com

As a teenager, I often hear about how reckless and ignorant teenagers are. This stems from the fact that we are not yet adults, but are not given the leniency that is given to children when it comes to world news. We are expected to keep our grades up while doing extra curriculars and have an exciting social life. The busy schedules that come with being a teenager makes some adults think that we have little interest or knowledge about real world issues. This is a common misunderstanding because when given the chance, teens can give a great deal of insight into the world we live in and are more than willing to express their political opinions. Our opinions and thoughts on politics are often dismissed due to "not knowing" anything and "not having lived long enough to have life experience", however, the internet we are seemingly so addicted to gives us the tools we need to make informed decisions about society. Social media is a great way to connect with friends, but it is also a great way to see different points of view on many issues. News articles and information on politics are readily available, and it is almost impossible to go through them without ending up with some knowledge and an opinion. The elections this year have most of the world talking about who will be our next president, and this does not exclude teens. The political decisions made by the generation before us will mostly affect us, and that interests us greatly. Wanting to live in a country that is good for us is something that every person wants, regardless of age.There are, of course, some teenagers that have no clue what is going on in the world around them, but there are also adults like that. Ignorance does not just apply to teenagers, and the idea that we are the only ignorant ones is absolutely absurd. By junior or senior year of high school we are expected to know what we want to do with our lives, we have to know where we will study for our degrees and how we will pay for it. If we are expected to know who we are and what we want, why are our opinions seen as invalid? How come we can't know who we support in politics and what our country needs? Teens are used to learning and are eager to express ideas and help come up with solutions to the world's problems. We are ready to talk about our views and ideas if adults are ready to listen.