It's My Country, Too.

It's My Country, Too.

I've been taught since I was young to stand up for what I believe in, and I believe in this nation.

9
It's My Country, Too.
lilly pulitzer

First, I'd like to start off by saying this: I am a 16 year old junior in high school. I don't find delight in the typical passions of girls my age. I'm passionate about politics, and American history. And, dare I say it: I'm a republican.

The things that I hear people say or that I see on social media when I talk about politics are that I'm too young to understand. This is not the case. I keep myself educated, and I find interest in involving myself in the political realm. I didn't inherit these beliefs from my parents, I didn't gain these beliefs from social media or peers, and I didn't choose to follow the 'typical millennial' mentality. And, despite popular belief, I'm not a homophobe, xenophobe, or *gasp* a racist. I decided my beliefs on my own, I did my research and formulated my opinions independently. I'm still a human and I still respect people even though I may not agree with their views, or their lifestyles.

"You're too young to understand politics." Actually, I disagree. You see, there's not an age requirement for learning. If I choose to engage in politics and educate myself, then I can. I'm not too young, or immature. I love learning and hearing other opinions, and I am educated in what I believe, even if that is a surprise for you. Do not take my opinions with a grain of salt because I am young. The political realm, in fact, needs more young people. Why not start early, and become engaged? One day I'm going to be able to vote. Why not keep myself educated and involved, that way I can be an informed voter?

Whether you agree or disagree with my political views, respect me enough to see the time and thought that I've put into formulating my opinions. I've been taught since I was young to stand up for what I believe in, and I believe in this nation. I'm not scared of holding the unpopular opinion, because whatever opinion I hold is one I've developed on my own and I am proud of. I will believe in what I wish without waiver. I refuse to be silent when it comes to my future, or my nation. It's my Country, too. I have the power to change something one day, so why not start now?