To Every Teammate I've Ever Had, Thank You For Becoming My Family

Once we stepped on that field we were all there for each other.

329
Caroline Cook

Teamwork is something we all have to experience at some point in our lives. You experience it at school, work, and in sports. There is always going to be people who say they work better alone and hate having to rely on others. And I get it... I really do. However, I am beyond grateful for the teammates I have played next to.

I started playing softball around the age of five and kept it going up until I left for college. I later on picked up lacrosse for about three years and loved it. Along the way, I met some lifelong best friends that I would never trade for the world. Being on a team and seeing the same people every weekend for tournaments and weekdays for practices really brings you closer to all of them. No matter the different places we all came from, as soon as we got on that field we became one. We became a team and I want to thank all of you for that.

I truly learned what a "team" was. We relied on each other. We picked each other up when we took a huge loss and cheered each other on when we had an awesome win. There were laughs and tears but we shared them together. The memories we made will be ones that stay with me forever.

Playing alongside each of you was an honor.

Now it was not always easy. There were some of you who definitely challenged me to learn how to work together as teammates despite the differences we had off the field. I appreciate this more than you know. It taught me to have my teammates backs even if we did not always get along or see eye to eye.

Of course, there were teammates who I got the privilege to play with my entire sports career, and there were also others who came and went. No matter how long we played together this letter is to thank you. Every one of you.

You impacted me as a person just by playing alongside me.

We all learned how each other worked on the field and used it to our advantage as a team. We built a trust and bond that made me confident going out on the field. There is no better feeling than knowing you have an entire team supporting you.

I cannot describe how great my entire sports career was, all thanks to my teammates. The day I finally hung up my cleats I knew that sports had shaped me into the person I am today. The people I met, the places I traveled to, the support I got from my family, friends, and coaches, and the relationships I built are the things I'll remember about the game.

The game I fell in love with and the teammates who made me love it that much more is something I'll always be grateful for.

We were not just a team we were a family.

So if you were ever a teammate of mine, for however long... Thank you. It was an experience I'll never forget.