Teachers Who Are More Than That

Teachers Who Are More Than That

The lessons teachers teach outside of the subject

11
Teachers Who Are More Than That
Tyler Putney

High school is a confusing, emotional, and wild rollercoaster for anyone who has ever gone through it. The process of dealing with teenage drama, off balanced hormones, and parental fueds have not changed since high school became the norm for adolescents. For many of those students, they need a way to deal with the stress and fears they have while this new stage of life hits them like a truck on the highway.

My highschool experience was filled with huge ups and downs, and like every other teenager, I was desperate for a way to cope with it, or have someone to turn to when I needed a laugh. What better place to turn than to the people you're around for eight hours every day?

The teachers that I had the privledge of meeting and befriending during my time in high school are relationships that I will cherish forever. In fact, my sophomore chemistry teacher and junior biology teacher are the two who inspired me to follow in their footsteps, and head down the education path. My senior year history teacher made his classes hard as hell, but was always there to help you get through it, and in the long run, helped prepare me for the college work load more than any other class. My journalism teacher gave me valuable real world experience that most people don't get until their first career job, and my junior year government teacher was always there to listen to any troubles I had. There are people who say superheros don't exist, but those people have clearly never met an outstanding teacher. Now entering my second year of college, I have realized how much I took those teachers for granted, and never really got to give them proper thanks for all of the hard work and life changing memories they have left me with. I wanted to take the time in this article to truely express my gratitude to each one of them.

Mr. Hemmingsen,

You are by far someone who has impacted my life more than any other person I have gotten the pleasure to meet. Going into education, you are a person I will forever look up to and try to guide myself in your footsteps. Not only were you incredibly intelligent in your field of study, but you managed to do the impossible, and make chemistry fun. I truely will always be trying to live my life up to your expectations. (Remember when I accidentally lit that Bunsen Burner hose on fire?)

Mrs. Talley,

You are an incredible person, teacher, and friend. You have taught me so much on the field of biology, that I still to this day find myself looking back and trying to remember your lectures. Not to mention the fact that you are able to balance the life of a soccer mom with two amazing children, all while making time for your students whenever they need you. If I could ever be half the educator you are, I would consider my life to be successful.

Mrs. Hutch,

You got to enjoy the daunting task of teaching me anatomy. I will never forget how I gave up on myself and you refused to let me go down on my own sinking ship. Learning the individual muscles of a cat is clearly hard for anyone (especially myself) to remember, but you seemed to have made it easy, to where I can still remember the tips and tricks you taught me. As I said before, you staying strong for your students is something that inspired me not only as a student today, but as an educator tomorrow.

Mr. Williams,

I tip my hat to you, sir. The way you were able to compose youself in probably the most abnoxious and misbehaved class I have ever been in is something to be commended for. Even I got annoyed at the misbehaved attrocities that went on in there, and I would pay millions to know the secret to how you didn't lose your cool each and every class. That is certainly a skill I hope to take with me into my education career, as you helped guide me through the lesson of patience without even knowing it.

Mr. Burton,

As you know, we disagree politically on many, many topics. But that didn't stop me from loving every single minute of your class. You are one of the most knowledgeable and well informed people on American history that i have ever met. I thought I knew a lot walking into your history class, and quickly found out I had the comparative knowledge of a four year old when it came to knowing as much as you. Your passion for you subject clearly rubs off on your students, and that is a skill that cannot be taught. I can only hope to have that affect on my students as well.

Mrs. Russ

I had you as my journalism teacher for three long and fruitful years. Being on the journalism staff helped me realize what it took to be a leader, to outreach into the community, and it also taught me how to pursuade businesses into buying things from me. Your guidance as a teacher to help me build my leadership, my writing, and my confidence is something that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else in the world. I can't express the gratitude I have for those experiences and for you.

Mr. Gray

You were able to teach me that school doesn't have to be serious 24/7. It is okay to have fun in life, too. Your class gave me something to always look forward to throughout the day. I only wish I was able to have you for a longer period of time then just one semester. Thank you for making a hard time in my life a little easier on all of your students.

Mrs. Price

It is because of you and two whole years of grueling Spanish that I am able to communicate with some of my students now. Of course, I'm still only at a fifth grade level, but I would never even be that far if it wasn't for you pushing me every step of the way. You were and are a large influence on my life, and a constant reminder on to never give up on myself.