Teachers: Personal Health is more Important than Grades

Grades don't last forever, but the health of your mind and body does.

50
Joshua Resnick

How many times has a teacher gotten onto you for missing school during an important assignment or project? Did it make you feel guilty and wrong? Well, you should not feel that way. It is not your fault you got sick or hurt, and decided to take care of yourself.

I am anemic, therefore, I get sick very often, very quickly, and I recover slowly from illnesses. I cannot even count on my fingers the amount of times teachers, principals, or other staff members have lectured me on hard work and attendance. I know I cannot change the rules about attendance, but I do know that I am more concerned on my physical and mental well-being than I am on good grades. Am I wrong for that? You might think so, but think about it this way:

When teachers are irritated that we missed school, they usually all say the same thing, "Sometimes I'm sick and don't feel well, but I still come to school every day." Here is the difference between a student and a teacher's situation. Teachers get paid to come to school, and students do not. I would be pretty motivated to go to school every day even if I had the flu if it meant getting paid for coming and participating every day. However, that is not the case at all. In fact, none of these students chose to come to school. They have to or else their parents could all be put in jail. It is the blunt truth, but it is the reality of the situation.

No matter what sickness or injury you have, never ever feel guilty for taking care of yourself. After all, shouldn't your well-being and health be your main priority? Good health means a happier you! Teachers should not be making students feel bad for wanting to better themselves personally.

We spend 8 hours a day, five days a week, every week for 9 months at school. We do this from the time we are five years old to the time we are eighteen. 13 years of this! Every once in a while, it is okay to get sick, stay home, rest, and get better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

In a teacher's defense, if you are gone, yes, it is your responsibility to pick up missing work, turn in doctor's notes, and make up any tests or quizzes. On the other hand, it does seem a little harsh to be annoyed at a student for becoming ill, which happens very often when 500 or more kids in one building are shoulder to shoulder all day.

The main point is this: yes, your grades are important in getting through school and going on to college, but you won't be going to school your whole life. Teaching kids that it is wrong to miss work or school because you are sick and your body is failing on you is not a good lesson whatsoever. In fact, you are more than likely going to fall even more ill, or not recover for a very long time if you continue going to work or school while you are sick, so don't sweat what your teachers say and ignore all of the snide comments they have. Take care of your body because it is the only thing that is truly yours. It is your canvas. Your body is your temple, and your way of expressing your mind. Is that not important? In my opinion, I think we should be teaching students to better themselves rather than pushing themselves while their body is having problems. Stay home when you don't feel well mentally or physically.

The last point that goes along with being treated badly for staying home ill is mental illnesses also count. That goes with depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc. For some reason, many teachers I have known along the years seem to think that mental illnesses are controllable. When somebody has a panic attack, it is often seen as a "scene," or just "seeking attention." That is definitely not the case and mental illnesses are a real sickness in your brain, in your organ, a physical part of the body. Sometimes there is nothing a person can do about it except try take care of themselves.

et's stop the shaming. Let's stop the blaming and rude comments and the excessive pushing. Let's all realize that our bodies, our minds, and our health are all more important than any number on a piece of paper. Health or grades? I think the answer is pretty obvious. There is only one thing that will stick with you for the rest of your life and it is not your grades or your school performance. It is yourself. Take care of yourself and feel no guilt for it!