Relatable Taylor Swift Breakup Songs
relationships

8 Taylor Swift Songs For Every Kind Of Breakup

Taylor Swift: superstar, singer, songwriter...best friend?

150
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/Taylor_Swift_%286820729472%29.jpg

Music is one of those things that everyone turns to in just about any situation. Happy in a relationship? Music. Breakup? Music. Depression? Music. Euphoria? You guessed it--music. One of the world's best-selling and widely-acclaimed singers and songwriters happens to be the one and only Taylor Swift. She's gone from country, to pop country, and is now somewhere in between pop and alt-pop. Fortunately, this means there's a T-Swizzle song for every kind of break up you might be going through.

1. You just got broken up with, and you're sad about it -- Sad Beautiful Tragic (2012)

With lyrics like "We had a beautiful magic love there / What a sad, beautiful, tragic love affair" and "Kiss me, try to fix it / Would you just try to listen?" it's hard to not cry when you listen to this song after a particularly upsetting breakup. If you're in your feels about a recent split from your boo, Sad Beautiful Tragic is there to remind you that it's okay to be sad about the end of a good relationship.

2. You just got broken up with, and you're content -- Holy Ground (2012)

"Holy Ground" is one of those songs you listen to after the end of a good relationship that had reached the end of its line, and you're okay with it. Some notable lyrics are "Darling, it was good / Never looking down / And right there where we stood / Was holy ground," acknowledging that what you once had was special and you'll look back at it fondly, but it ended right when it should have, even if sometimes you feel like you could've lasted longer.

3. You just got broken up with, and you're mad about it -- You're Not Sorry (2010)

The album Fearless is underrated in its entirety, but the song "You're Not Sorry" is one of the ones that deserve to go down in history. Set to a lovelorn piano, it's easy to think this is a sad song, but when you pare it down, Taylor--or whoever is narrating the story of the song--is pretty pissed that it ended the way it did. "You can tell me that you're sorry / But I don't believe you, baby / Like I did before" is a personal favorite line of mine. Yeah, you may be sorry that you broke up with me, but I don't really believe it--not like all those other times you apologized.

4. You just got broken up with, and you're happy/relieved about it -- We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (2012)

The go-to song for the "bye bitch" kind of break-up, WANEGBT is a buh-bye song for the ages. "I say 'I hate you' / We break up / You call me / 'I love you'" is a situation I'm sure many people have been through. It perfectly captures the feeling of being tired of the whole on-off relationship that is so common these days when people just can't seem to figure out what they want. It's catchy, upbeat, and totally relatable for those of us who feel like it's just time for something to be over with.

5. You just got broken up with, and you're torn about your emotions -- "I Almost Do" (2012)

Okay, there's a pattern to breakup songs, and they all come from the album Red, which is undeniably her best album. "I Almost Do" is a perfect song for when you get broken up with and you want to get back together, but--oh, well, maybe you don't. You don't know. Ugh, relationships are so hard. "Every time I don't / I almost do" is peak "should I / shouldn't I" when it comes to wondering if you should beg for another shot at a recently broken relationship.

6. You just broke up with your SO, and you're reflecting -- Red (2012)

Being the song that shares the title of the iconic album, it's got some pretty high standards. Red reflects on a relationship that she ended, but is just thinking about--happy, sad? Yes. Both. "Losing him was blue like I've never known / Missing him was dark gray all alone / Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met / But loving him was red" acknowledges that a break-up can be more than just black or white. All of these colors represent emotions about your relationship, and you don't feel one way or another about it yet since it's probably pretty fresh.

7. You just broke up with your SO, and you're relieved -- Getaway Car (2017)

"Getaway Car" is one of the most beloved songs of her album reputation, but it's also one of the best for someone who just got out of a relationship that they've wanted to leave for a while. "Should've known I'd be the first to leave" is the shortest line of the song, but also one of the ones that will probably make you go, "relatable af." Your relationship was probably going downhill for a while, and you both knew it but didn't accept it.

8. You just broke up with your SO, and you regret it -- Back to December (2010)

We all make mistakes, but most of us realize it a second too late. You probably took your love for granted and left before you really wanted to. We've all been there, kiddo. The best line to represent this kind of breakup is, "If we loved again / I swear I'd love you right" and "I'd go back in time and change it / But I can't / So if the chain is on your door / I understand." You'd take a second chance if you got it in a heartbeat, but second chances aren't easy to come by.