You Deserve To Take The Time To Be Happy

Smiling is important.

82

When school gets tough or life starts to get in the way, it becomes harder and harder to see the world from outside the hole that you sometimes feel trapped in. You forget about asking people to hang out, and you focus on getting through day to day, sometimes so stuck in the groove, that you forget that the outside world is moving around you. College can feel that way. You become trapped in this bubble where classes become your identity, your lifeline, and the only thing that can keep you going. You spend numerous hours in the library and forget about the fact that people are living life outside the walls and windows of your own little world inside campus. It's crazy to feel that way. To have a norm, but feels so robotic sometimes. It feels like each day is going to class, hitting the library, exercising at the gym, and falling asleep at night.

My advice is to not let yourself become complacent. Do not let the "schedule" of a schedule get to your life.

Take time to enjoy the things you love. Wear an outfit you feel confident in, take a shopping trip, treat yourself to a coffee or hot chocolate, or go eat fast food late at night if you get the craving. Sometimes you have to "let go" before you can "pop" a little bit of the bubble we can all feel trapped in.

Recently, I have been making lists. Of course, I have lists that consist of all the academics and school work I need to complete with due dates, but more importantly, is a list of things I want to do this month, people I want to connect with, and little things I can try to boost my mood and step away from the bubble for an hour or two.

If you're not a visual person like me, you don't have to write all these things down. But it is something to consider as you go through your academic career. Try not to get lost amongst the books at the library and attempt to surround yourself with some people or things that make you smile.

Having a healthy balance of both will improve your academics and performance. It is important to practice being healthy in all ways but intelligence. The brain can only work so hard before even it needs a break.

Laugh a little. Think about what makes you happy and do it. Treat yourself. Create a healthy balance between fun and work. Work hard and play hard. Set goals and find ways to achieve them.

You don't deserve to go through anything without a smile.

"No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change." -Barbara DeAngelis

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim, and end of human existence." -Aristotle