Your Part In Political Activism Today, No Matter How Small, Is Influential

Honestly, sometimes it feels hopeless. It is always just thoughts and prayers in this country. However, that does not mean we should stop fighting. We can't give the people who try to shut us down the satisfaction of taking our voice away.

3345

I know that writing this article is not going to change anything. I know that re-posting pro-choice tweets on my Instagram story is not going to change anything. Honestly, sometimes it feels hopeless: retweeting, writing articles, making posters, marches. It all feels hopeless because it feels like no matter how much action there is today, our voice won't be heard. Take the gun law protests for example. There have been so many marches and protests (even the national school walkout), however, nothing changed. It is always just thoughts and prayers in this country.

However, that does not mean we should stop fighting. We can't give up on what we believe in. We should keep posting on our story and tweeting, keep writing articles, keep marching, and keep protesting. We can't give the people who try to shut us down the satisfaction of taking our voice away. We all need to speak out more. People from both sides of the political spectrum. Change and acceptance can only occur if everyone talks to each other.

Share opinions and actually LISTEN to each other. Don't shut the person out right away because they don't share the same opinion as you. Actually, listen and try to understand their reasoning. Share your reasons too. Do your research (on both sides, not just your side) and beware of biased media. Fake news is a real thing, look carefully at your sources.

Surround yourself with people from both sides of the political spectrum because the more you seclude yourself to people that share just your opinions, the more ignorant you will become to the other side. Although it is hard when you are very passionate about something, try to keep an open mind. And don't be rude to someone just because they have a different opinion. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. You may not agree with their opinion, you may not respect their opinion, but you must respect that they have the right to it and they also have the right to vocalize their opinion.

For ages, people have been told not to talk about politics in public. It is something that used to be considered a private matter, something not discussed in public. But that thinking needs to change. If we all don't keep open minds and if we all fear backlash in voicing our opinions, nothing will ever change. We need to express our voices loud and proud for any change to ever occur. And most importantly, we all need to vote every chance we get. Vote and tell all your friends and family to vote because that is the only direct way we as citizens can influence change in our country.

Keep posting, keep writing, keep marching. Keep sharing your opinions, keep talking to others, and most importantly always vote!