How To Take Care Of Your Body, Mind and Soul

The path to better health through wellness.

95
Millbrae School District

Health. It's a fickle thing, and often misinterpreted by the general population. We see the word "health" and immediately limit its definition down to illness and weight loss. America seems to be caught up in a fad of juice cleanses and spin classes, especially through social media, and while these things have good intentions, they don't offer an accurate picture of health.

The World Health Organization defines health as "a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not just merely the absence of disease or infirmity." So you can see, being healthy is a bit more involved than dropping a few pounds through diet and exercise; it means taking care of yourself both inside and out.

While the WHO's definition of health is all fine and great, it doesn't really explain how to achieve this goal of better health. That's where wellness comes in. Imagine that perfect health is a secret treasure marked by an "X" on an ancient map, and wellness is your tools for building a road to that treasure. Wellness is "an active process through which [people] become aware of and make choices towards a more successful existence," describes the National Wellness Institute, and can often be broken down into six major categories: physical, social, intellectual, spiritual, emotional and occupational.

As July winds down to a close and move-in day looms ever closer, I've come to the realization that I'm about to experience some serious life changes. I know I'm going to have to be at my very best to handle this challenging transition, which is why I've decided to set out on my personal path of wellness- taking care of body, mind, and soul to unlock my true potential this semester. Inspired by my research of the NWI's Six Dimensions of Wellness, I've developed my own personal method for better health and wellness, which focus mainly on improving my physical, mental, social and emotional well-being.

While everyone's road to improved health is going to vary slightly, I invite you to take a look on how I plan on pursuing my goal of better health and wellness.

Physical

Exercise. Yes, exercise. I'll be the first to admit that I've been pretty lazy this summer about staying active and I have no excuse. I viewed physical activity as an optional thing rather than my responsibility for taking care of my body. Just putting in 30 minutes of (varying) physical activity a day is enough to keep you somewhat fit, and it's easier to accomplish than you might think.

Choose the stairs instead of the elevator if you have the chance. You'll use different muscle groups in your legs and core going up and down the stairs that you wouldn't normally work by just walking. Grab a friend and take a walk after meals. This is proven to aid in digestion as well, which is great for people who suffer from indigestion and heart burn. If you were to walk for 10 minutes after every meal, you would already be at your goal of 30 minutes a day, though I would suggest doing something else to keep fit as well.

Lastly, exercising doesn't have to be treated as a boring chore- make it fun! Dancing is a great way to burn some calories and work a variety of muscles, so crank up the tunes and dance it out. No matter what your choose to do to stay fit, exercising is good for your cardio vascular, respiratory and muscular systems, as well as having the added benefit of stimulating the release of endorphins in your brain which can improve your mood.

A balanced diet. Seems like a given, doesn't it? Though we've all been taught from a young age that a balanced diet is the key to living a healthy life, nearly 68 percent of Americans are overweight. But eating healthy isn't just a necessity for those struggling with their weight; we all could benefit from watching what we put into our bodies.

While the beloved Food Pyramid we grew up with is now a thing of the past, the My Plate model proves just as effective, it not more so, in breaking down what a balanced meal looks like. www.choosemyplate.gov is a valuable online resource for tracking your meals so you can see what nutrients and food groups you're missing in your everyday diet and where you need to cut back. I tracked my meals for a week this past spring as part of an assignment and noticed I was eating way past the recommended amount of processed grains and not nearly enough fruits and vegetables. Getting a good idea of your current eating habits is a great first step in setting goals for a balanced diet.

If you find you don't have the time to track your meals for a period of time, however, a good rule of thumb is to try and have at least one serving of a fruit or vegetable at every meal and to limit excessive intake of oils, sugars, caffeine and carbs. A balanced diet doesn't mean you have to completely change your lifestyle, just adapt it to include more fruits and vegetables and less processed foods. Not only can you feel better about what you're putting into your body, you're also like to experience having more energy and less stomach aches.

Stay hydrated. Health officials recommend we drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Not soda, not tea, nor Gatorade, but crystal clear drinking water. Sounds easy, right? While some people have no problems consuming plenty of H2O throughout their day, others (myself included) sometimes struggle with this. For me, it's a habit thing; I'm not used to carrying a water bottle around with me all day, so I often find myself dehydrated. Dehydration is extremely dangerous and can cause dizziness, fatigue and diarrhea if you're not careful.

Stretch. Every morning, it's a good idea to start your day with a quick stretch- about 10 minutes should suffice in helping to wake you up and get the blood flowing to your muscles. An un-stretched muscle is more likely to be strained or injured, so even if you aren't planning on participating in any strenuous activity for the day, it's better to air on the side of caution. Yoga also has the added bonus of being a great form of meditation, so working some nightly yoga into your before going to bed would also beneficial.

Mental

Get plenty of sleep. The average adult gets less than seven hours of sleep a night, and college students seem to get even less than that. But that's okay, we're still young right? Wrong. The National Institute's of Health recommend that everyone over the age of 18 should be sleeping 7.5 to 9 hours every day. Any less can lead to sleep deprivation, which has a variety of negative side effects. From fatigue, lethargy and irritability to increased anxiety, impaired motor skills and other health concerns, it's much better to get a full night's rest than to pull an all-nighter. If you have trouble sleeping for this long at night however, squeezing an hour long nap here and there into your schedule is just as beneficial, as long as you end the day with at least 7.5 hours of sleep.

Challenge your brain. The brain is made up of two halves; the logic and reason dominant left brain and the creatively centered right brain. It is important that both sides are stimulated on a daily basis to keep your brain functioning at it's best. To give the left side of your brain a work out, try solving a puzzle or a brain teaser, such as a crossword or Soduko. For the right half, this is your chance to get creative. Paint a picture, write a poem, the choice is yours.

Read. Read for enjoyment, read to escape, but also read to learn. Mix it up every once in a while by picking up something outside your comfort zone, such as nonfiction. This doesn't mean you have to become an expert on string theory overnight, but maybe read an article or two from a recent scientific journal. Seek out new ideas and perspectives that challenge your own, and use what you learn to have intellectual conversations. The only proven cure for ignorance is being informed.

Take a break from electronics and screens. In a world that seems increasingly surrounded by technology, this often proves difficult. But it is recommended that we try to take a break from our computers, cell phones, and televisions for 30 to 60 minutes a day to reduce eye strain, which can damage vision and cause headaches.

Social

Take time to spend with friends and loved ones. Having a physical network of people you relate to and can rely on is a part of what makes us human. We aren't meant to live alone, and isolation can be damaging. Keep in touch with family. Whether it be through phone calls, text messages, letters or carrier pigeons, staying connected to family during your time away will bring the comforts of home to you wherever you are.

Try to get to know one new person a week. This may seem like a pretty hefty order, especially for my fellow introverts. Making a new acquaintance, while it might seem difficult, is just like any other arduous task: it takes practice. Though each introduction might not lead to a new lasting friendship, you'll gain more confidence in yourself as your social skills improve.

Cull unhealthy relationships. What defines a relationship as being unhealthy? It really comes down to you and whether or not you feel this is a relationship that deserves to be kept alive. Unhealthy relationships are subtly destructive and can be a drain on you emotionally.

Find someone who can be your confident/sounding board. Everyone needs that one person in their life they can rely on to talk through the sticky situations the world throws at us from time to time. Who is that person for you? Do you trust their advice?

Emotional

Relax. We live in a high speed world, and sometimes it's hard to slow down and relax. There are many ways you can choose to do this, but one surefire way is to find a hobby. Whether it be reading, crafts or gardening, picking up a hobby can help to take a break from the usual pressures of life.

Learn to reduce stress. We're all bound to get stressed now and again, but how we deal with it goes a long way to defining our personal emotional health. Find your inner peace through yoga and meditation, create a safe place where you can relax and stay organized with a planner or by tidying up your personal space.

Practice self-love. Every once in a while, it's important to cut yourself some slack, to look in the mirror and say, "I'm only human." One of the first steps in earning respect is to learn to respect yourself.

Write in a journal. Maybe this is you thing, maybe it isn't. While it's not necessary to start each entry with Dear Diary..., taking 10 minutes to free write about your day may help you to untangle any problems you might be struggling with.

I do not pretend to be an expert on health and wellness, nor do I guarantee that any or all of these tips will work for everyone. But I have made it my goal to take better care of myself this year, and I have done my research in order to give myself the best chance of success.