It Only Takes Seven Minutes

It Only Takes Seven Minutes

A lot can happen in seven minutes for a runner.

9
It Only Takes Seven Minutes
PEXELS

Recently, I read an article about one runner's perspective on how to get through a difficult run. Any runner will tell you that there are almost as many bad days as there are good days when it comes to running, and getting through each and every one of them without giving up is part of being a successful runner. So what was this runner's answer on getting through a tough run? Seven minutes.

Certainly, seven minutes wasn't the anticipated answer. Usually, it's distracting music or running with a friend. But seven minutes? How would that help? Apparently, all it takes is seven minutes to go from dreading a run to feeling glad that you're doing it. Beyond curious and hopeful that this magic trick would work, I tried it out myself.

As I have been conditioning myself back into shape for track season, I've kept my watch off. I wear it mostly to know the time, and because I feel almost naked without it. On the first day of track pre-season training with my team, I pressed the timer on my watch, disconnecting it from the GPS feature because I didn't want to obsess over pace and how much distance I had covered. I just wanted to focus on how I felt, something that runners (especially competitive) should try and do more often.

I was already making the mistake of assuming this run would be tough because building milage back up from taking time off is not an easy feat. The first few days might be rough, but it all begins with your attitude. Once I shook off the bad thoughts, I couldn't help but look down at my watch. It had felt like forever when in reality I was only five minutes into a run that would take about six times longer than that.

Not too far away from the first-mile marker, I looked down at my watch again. It had been over seven minutes, and although it wasn't like some sort of happy switch had flipped in my brain, I did admit that I felt different. Whether it was a self-fulfilling prophecy or not, I was almost a mile through my run, and glad to be doing it. At that point, there was no turning around.

Seven minutes. That all it takes to turn a bad run into a good run. To decide that even though running was absolutely one of the last things you wanted to do today, you got yourself out there, and that's awesome. The fact that you dragged yourself out the door and did it is something to be proud of. Because realistically, being a consistent runner is challenging, and even the best of them have the worst days.

A lot can happen in seven minutes. But running just seven minutes a day has a significant, positive impact on your heath, and is such a simple concept to hold on to when running becomes tough. So set your watch and start running. Are you going to turn back after seven minutes?