14 Things To Do When You First Wake Up

14 Things To Do When You First Wake Up, Besides Being On Your Phone

Social media and our phones have taken over our lives and it is time to take it back.

96

Your alarm goes off, you roll over, you turn it off...and you pick up your phone to scroll through your notifications. Email, social media, and a couple of texts later, you're ready to start your day. It has been shown that if we check our phones, notifications, and emails right when we wake up, it can affect how our ability to be able to prioritize ourselves. Yet we still do it! Breaking this habit, while difficult, may actually improve your entire day — you just need something else to do first thing in the morning, instead of reaching for your screen.

1. Drink a glass of water

We can admit that some of us don't drink enough water in the day. So why not start your day with a glass of water? It helps you wake up and gets you refreshed to start the day.

2. Make your bed

Nothing feels better than making your bed in the morning. I admit I do not do this on the daily, but when I do it makes me feel like my life together when it actually is not.

3. Make breakfast

We all live fast-paced lives and are always on the go and we make excuses for not making breakfast or grabbing a "fast" breakfast like a granola bar. If you set aside about 20 minutes that you usually on your phone to make a good breakfast and can get you a step ahead on your day.

4. Write

Writing is a hobby that I always say I don't have the time for. Putting down my phone in the morning can make the time for that. I can just write down what is frustrating me and what issues are going through my mind for the week. Juggling everything can be overwhelming and expressing how you feel on paper can definitely help that.

5. Work out

Nothing says that getting enough energy for the day than working out bright and early in the morning. Working out gives you the boost of energy that you will need to conquer the day.

6. Take your dog for a walk

Our furry friends are always there for us, so why not be there for them? Take them on a daily small walk will make their day.

7. Meditate

It is hard to disconnect from your phone and crazy lives our mentality os just to keep going going going and to not stop. This is where meditation can come in. Many successful people wake up and meditate. It is one of the best ways to start your morning. You connect spiritually to yourself and prepare yourself for the day.

8. Make a killer cup of coffee

Nothing better than starting your morning than having the best cup of coffee. If you take the time to brew coffee, get what you need to have the best cup of coffee, then do so. It will make you feel so much better and energized in the morning.

9. Stretch your body

You have been sleeping for about 8 hours straight (depends how much sleep you actually get). Your body needs to stretch. It has just been laying down for such a long amount of time Your body just needs it and it is a good feeling.

10. Write down your to-do list

With busy days come busy schedules. It is easy to forget what exactly needs to be done. Take the time away from your phone and write down what needs to be done and make it a goal to accomplish those tasks.

11. Think about what you are grateful for

We often go through our day not thinking about the small things that make us happy in life. We are all always on the go. It is essential to just stop and think about what you are grateful for. When you wake up take a breath of fresh air and just appreciate life and enjoy all of the beautiful things in life.

12. Take the time to get ready, don’t rush

We so easily get in the mindset that we have to get up and get ready. We spend time when we get up being on our phones. We can spend those extra few minutes to put more effort into our appearance and look more put together. Little changes like that can help.

13. Watch the news

As much as I hate to admit, I do not watch the news at all. I always feel like there is something negative going on in the world. At the same time, I feel like I don't know what is going on.

14. Go on a run without your phone

I am not gonna lie, I rely on my phone and music to get me through my walk or run. I have never thought about how much I rely on it in this part of my routine. Going on a run early in the morning, even if it is for 10-15 minutes can be refreshing. The world will just be so quiet and you can let your mind just run and run just like your body.