Yes, I Support The Child Leash

Yes, I Support The Child Leash

My biggest fear is losing a child that I'm watching.

49
Yes, I Support The Child Leash
@miss_babyb

The child leash -- you either like it or you don't, there isn't exactly an in between. There are those who are huge supporters and even swear by them, but then there are those who oppose the leash and think people need to just successfully watch their kids.

I am a supporter of the child leash.

I don't think it's humiliating or bad parenting at all. I personally agree with it for safety reasons. It's quite scary how quickly someone can take a child. My biggest fear is losing a child that I'm watching. I'm always on alert and keeping a close eye on not only the child I have but the people around us. That being said, having that extra security helps ease some of the tension.

Now, I'm going to give you some reasons people disagree with the leash and my opposing thoughts on it. The main one, you need to watch your kids and you should keep them close, always. I work with kids for a living and have many children in my life. It's my job to keep them safe and close when going out anywhere, and I do that job well.

However, like I said before, it only takes a moment for someone to grab and run off with a child. People talk like it's easy to keep a constant eye on your child, but it's not. When your out with them someplace busy, there is a lot to focus on, and you're probably going to look away for a moment or two, this is all it takes. At least with the leash, you know they're safe.

Another point people make is that you're restricting the child's freedom. I don't believe that you are. If anything, you're giving them a little bit of freedom. Not making them hold your hand, or constantly having to talk to them to slow down or stay next to you. They are able to wander a bit and having some wiggle room.

I don't believe in the negative attention. It's your child to care for and you're doing what you feel is best. Everyone is going have their own opinion on what they think is right or wrong. The kids I've used it on actually think it's quite funny and love it.

I'm not saying the leash gives you freedom to look away more. There are the typical down falls, such as the child figuring out how to get out of it, or someone cutting it. However, it's nice having a little something extra, anything that might help keep your child safe is a good idea.

Ironically enough, despite the fact that I support the leash, my mom never had to use one. There are opposing views in my house, and that's okay. In the end, it's your own personal choice as a parents/caregiver, whatever makes you feel safest.