5 Financial Goals For College Students On Summer Break
Summer Break

5 Financial Goals I'm Making As A College Student This Summer Break

Let's have some real talk.

131
Photo by Gracie Swift

We have all seen the cheesy Netflix movies where girls find their one true love and spend an amazing summer together. Or we gawk over those who travel to multiple countries and post the hell out of it on Instagram during their time off of school. Don't get me wrong, a once in a lifetime summer romance isn't something I would turn my nose up at... and neither is jet setting around the world. But this summer I am taking a different approach to my expectations.

After a busy school year, and it being my first year of college, I feel a little lost. I feel like I have grown up so much in the past year alone, but also feel like I have so far to go. This summer my main goal is to focus on MYSELF. I have set financial goals for myself, health goals, as well as mental goals. The biggest thing that I want to accomplish is going back to school feeling refreshed and have the mindset of "let's f*cking do this thing."

I am hoping that by sharing this out onto a public platform, people who have similar ideas or goals as me will be able to really take comfort in knowing that they aren't the only one who is not just laying by the pool with a margarita in hand and not having a care in the world.

Financially here are the steps that I have begun to take in hopes to achieve my goals:

Write it down...

In order to make any goal possible, the first step is to write it down. Read any self-help book and I can almost guarantee you that they will tell you to start by writing things down. After that is done, put it somewhere that it will be seen and read every single day; my bathroom mirror for example.

Stop being lazy and making excuses!!!

"I don't have time"... avoidable. Sister, wake up an hour earlier and bust some stuff out, I promise by not waking up at noon every day of summer, you will get so much more done and feel accomplished by the end of each day. "I don't know how"... maybe valid but not really. Youtube, Google, books, and even more, the world is at your fingertips when you really break it down. There are solutions to any excuse you can come up with, honestly, it all starts with how badly you want it.

Find your support system.

Things are so much easier when you have a solid support system. People who hold you accountable for your actions and also help motivate you on the daily. This could literally be your mom, best friend, your barista, literally anyone who sends you positive vibes and lots of love. Find that backing and you will see the overwhelming change that all of a sudden has fallen into your lap.

Sacrifice, but don't overwhelm yourself.

With all of this being said, go-getters regardless of how wide-ranging your support system is or how much free time you have, it isn't easy to make changes and truly make them stick to your life and everyday routine. To make this point relevant, I am going to explain my situation currently. Financially, I want to have my car insurance paid off to through December and my sorority dues paid off before I go back to school.

That is not easy if I am being honest, as a 19-year-old. I am currently working three jobs. I am a hostess at a super fun and hip restaurant in Scottsdale, I nanny, and I am a personal assistant. It seems like a lot, but I am not taking summer classes and also I really don't have very many obligations now over the summer as I did in high school. I work Friday and Saturday nights sometimes until midnight at the restaurant, the times that my friends usually all hangout and party. It's fine, I truly don't mind missing a few parties if it will really help me achieve my goal.

Tying into the step above, still have fun.

Pretty soon real life will be here and the summers won't be as chill anymore. So do try to have fun and treat yourself to a chill day or lake weekend vacation. Also remember this motto that my best friend and I use constantly: work hard but play harder.

Everyone uses summer for different reasons and due to different circumstances. Take the time to wake up early, practice some self-care, or just sleep all day. This is your time, but male the most of it.

For all of you go-getters out there, we got this and use this summer as a reset button for the upcoming hectic school year.